Andes is harnessing the power of microbes to develop novel seeds for a future generation of regenerative agriculture.
We are looking for a full-time Agricultural Technician to operate under the supervision of a Senior Scientist. The successful candidate will be responsible to carryout out routinely greenhouse maintenance and data collection tasks. The role requires prior experience working with plants including handling and maintenance, taking plant samples, processing and measurement. Experience with fertilizer recipes preparation, pH estimation and pesticides application are also required.
This role will be responsible for supporting the research of our scientific team. The candidate is required to perform scientific experiments as advised by a Senior Scientist, adhere to established methods/protocols to ensure the consistency and quality of reported results, perform data analysis, documenting results for easy access by the scientific team and work independently or in a team. In addition, high level of professionalism, good work ethics, flexibility, adaptability and enthusiasm are required to support the laboratory operations.
- Set up laboratory and greenhouse equipment as required for site testing.
- Prepare greenhouse samples for analysis, following proper protocols to ensure that they will be stored, prepared, and disposed of efficiently and effectively.
- Collect plants and soil samples.
- Record plant and soil research or operational data.
- Analyze the retrieved data, prepare a summary report and report results to the manager.
- Supervise fungi and insects control operations, including locating and identifying fungi and insects, selecting chemicals and application methods, or scheduling application.
- Conduct studies of nitrogen or alternative fertilizer application methods, quantities, or timing to ensure satisfaction of crop needs.
- Perform laboratory or greenhouse testing, using spectrometers, nitrogen determination apparatus, air samplers, centrifuges, or potential hydrogen (pH) meters to perform tests.
- Perform tests on seeds to evaluate seed viability.
- Perform general nursery duties, such as sowing seeds, maintaining cuttings of plants, or controlling environmental conditions.
- Greenhouse’s material washing and sterilization.
- Manage the inventory and cleanliness of the greenhouse.
- Prioritize tasks to meet goals and ensure product quality.
- Recognize and report any safety issues.
- Follow all company policies and procedures to ensure product integrity and quality control.
- Maintain confidentiality pertaining to the research work of the company and show high level of professionalism.
Qualifications and Experience
- Prior 1-3 years of plant research experience or testing experience in a nursery, greenhouse or plant science laboratory.
- Demonstrated knowledge of plant cultivation, care and maintenance, including fertilization programs for different plant species and pesticides application.
- Prior experience using pH meter, light microscope, biosafety cabinet and autoclave.
- Experience following written protocols/SOPs.
- Experience of working on multiple projects.
- Experience in carryout microbiology research.
- Experience in basic molecular biology procedures.
The applicant must be authorized to work in the U.S. and have a valid driver’s license.
- Associate degree required (Bachelor’s degree preferred).
- 1-3 years of plant nursery, greenhouse or plant science laboratory experience.
What we offer
- Competitive salary in an early-stage, disruptive startup.
- Stock options.