Located in the fertile Skagit Valley of Washington state, Skagit Farmers Supply has served the agricultural community since 1934. As a local co-operative, the company provides farmers, homeowners, businesses, families and the communities in the Pacific Northwest with services through Agronomy, Energy, Retail and Wholesale operations.
The company’s Agronomy division serves one of the largest and most diverse agricultural communities west of the Cascade mountain range. Over 100 different crops are grown in the surrounding area including berries, tulips, corn, wheat, cucumbers, specialty potatoes, apples and vegetable seed crops.
Specializing in conventional and organic fertilizer blends, turf & ornamental management materials, farm seed and Ag services, the company is proud to support agriculture through its two agronomy plants; one in Conway that features a segregated organic blending facility with the capability of custom blending dry organic fertilizer, and a second state-of-the-art plant, built in 2017, that has the largest crop nutrient storage in the local geography.
We utilize a wide variety of equipment and technology including Agworld, a collaborative farming solution that enables growers, crop consultants, farm staff, precision specialists and operation managers to work as one using communication tools to improve workflow and increase efficiencies.
Responsibilities & Duties:
The ideal candidate will possess a high level of initiative, discretion and independent judgment, along with a can-do attitude and the ability to manage multiple tasks while maintaining a good attitude. This person will be able to recognize what needs be done and figure out ways to do them effectively and efficiently. Job responsibilities & duties include:
- Advise growers/customers in current best management practices pertinent to their specific operations
- Create, refine, and recommend specific agronomic programs to targeted accounts to improve customer satisfaction & loyalty while enhancing agronomy business
- Work independently while developing and implementing short- and long-term plans aimed at increasing agronomy business volume and also function and communicate smoothly as part of a larger team working to provide essential products and services in a timely manner
- Deliver product and conduct soil samples as needed
- Be willing and able to learn and maintain a high level of technical expertise
- Coordinate with fertilizer and chemical applicators to assure effective use of manpower, time, and equipment
- Assure that relevant federal and state regulations are followed
- Exhibit an ability to get along well with others
- Other duties as assigned
- Must possess a valid driver license
- Must possess or be able to obtain WSDA Commercial Consultant license within 60 days of employment
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with co-workers and customers
- Demonstrate familiarity with business reports and related mathematics
- Commitment to excellence and high standards especially in regard to customer service
- Strong organizational, planning, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Proven track record of being dependable and reliable
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Agronomy, Ag Econ, Ag Business, Ag Ed, Ag Engineering, Soil or Weed Science, or equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge and skills
- One to three years of related professional experience
- Experience in turf and ornamentals management, including but not limited to greenhouses, golf courses, nurseries, landscaping, etc.
- Possess a Certified Crop Adviser certification or obtain one within the first year of employment