Located in the fertile Skagit Valley of Washington state, Skagit Farmers Supply has served the agricultural community since 1934. As a local co-operative, the company provides farmers, homeowners, businesses, families and the communities in the Pacific Northwest with services through Agronomy, Energy, Retail and Wholesale operations.
The company’s Agronomy division serves one of the largest and most diverse agricultural communities west of the North Cascades mountain range. Over 100 different crops are grown in the surrounding area. Specializing in conventional and organic fertilizer blends, turf & ornamental management materials, crop protection products, farm seed and ag services, the company is proud to support agriculture.
The company is searching for an Agronomy Manager to direct, promote, and coordinate operations in a manner that will optimize market share and savings, improve efficiency, help achieve the company’s mission and goals, and result in outstanding customer service. This position is responsible for oversight and leadership of three agronomy centers in NW Washington.
Operations and sales staff at each location report directly to this position. Ideal candidates will have proven leadership experience and expertise in business operations, sales, production and distribution. A strong understanding of business administration and ag economics are critical to the successful execution of the daily responsibilities associated with this role.
Job responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Establish department goals and communicate goals and results to employees and senior management
- Assume full P&L responsibility including budgeting, financial statements, inventory control as well as development of pro forma business analysis and projections for new projects
- Staff and supervise approximately 30 full time staff members plus seasonal labor
- Develop and implement an annual marketing plan
- Establish and achieve department’s profitability while increasing market share
- Purchase and price products to allow the business to achieve its financial objectives
- Recommend asset replacement or additions as needed
- Ensure that division facilities and equipment meet all federal, state and OSHA regulations.
- Provide oversight for the division’s safety program
- Uphold all company policies
- Exhibit an ability to get along with others
- Perform other duties as assigned by management
- Any combination of education, training, or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities with an emphasis on the aforementioned job responsibilities
- Commitment to excellence and high standards especially in terms of providing outstanding customer service
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Proven track record of being safe, dependable and reliable
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with co-workers and customers for safety purposes
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Possess a valid driver license with good driving record
- Must pass background check and pre-employment drug screen as a condition of employment
- Demonstrated proficiency using Windows operating system and Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Agriculture, or equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge and skills
- Knowledge pertaining to the characteristics of different types of crop nutrients and associated commodity markets
- Experience with the characteristics of different types of fertilizers and how they might interact when blended
- Familiarity of commercial agricultural equipment and machinery