Algae Production Technician
at Heliae® Agriculture
As a leading food and ag tech company, Heliae strives to create a sustainable impact in the quality of our planet. Heliae is today’s science-backed game changing brand that is 100% focused on a journey to delivering microbial-based products that can be used to change the world. Heliae® Agriculture is on the path of understanding how a balanced soil microbiome improves plant vigor and marketable yields under stressed conditions, helping growers’ transition to regenerative agriculture practices.
About the Role:
As a member of the seed production team, you will play an important role in the maintenance of large-scale algal cultures for the production of algae-based agricultural products. You will manufacture, clean, and process bioreactors. You will be responsible for growing and analyzing various sized cultures as part of a scale-up process. You will also have responsibilities to run quality control and spend time working on the development of the bioreactor. Key factors of this job include maintaining axenic cultures, keeping a careful eye on detail when building and operating bioreactors, and establishing and following all necessary SOPs.
- Monitor bioreactors from cradle to grave; assist in fabrication, setup, inoculation, harvesting, teardown, and processing of components.
- Prepare media, monitor cultures, maintain axenicity, and take samples.
- Perform laboratory analyses including microscopy.
- Monitor laboratory inventory. Assist in preventative maintenance of laboratory equipment. Assist in upkeep of inventory of consumables and cleanliness of bioreactor components.
- Troubleshoot process and equipment issues, and apply understanding of biology and axenic culturing to solve new problems.
- Participate in writing reports and standard operating procedures.
- Assist supervisors and managers in implementing project safety and quality control protocols.
- Communicate with management about work area needs, personnel or quality issues.
- Maintain the confidentiality of proprietary company information.
- Perform other duties as needed or directed by supervisor.
- Maintain an exemplary working relationship with others.
Skills and Qualifications:
The ability to:
- Stand for extended periods of time (4-6 hours a day).
- Occasionally (0-20%) lift or carry up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently (40-80%) perform fine and / or strength-required manipulations with hands and fingers.
- Walk a construction site.
- See, hear, and speak.
- Starting knowledge of microorganism biology & algal farming.
- Ability to maintain a clearly organized laboratory notebook.
- Fluent English written & spoken.
- The ability to work 40 or more hours per week at Heliae’s headquarters in Gilbert, Arizona
The ability to operate a:
- Copier/fax machine
- Experience with Microsoft Office including Word, Outlook and Excel
- Self-motivated /Pro-active/Strong initiative
- High attention to detail
- People Skills/Team player
- Technical Strength/Process Aptitude
- Good in planning and organization of their work and time
- Excellent communication (written and oral), analytical and technical skills.
- Comfortable with a fast-paced, changing environment.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- BS in (Cellular) Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or Biotechnology preferred.
- Experience with manufacturing, equipment maintenance, or hands-on assembly work is a plus.
- More experienced candidates with an Associate’s degree in biology or equivalent will be considered.
- Experience with growing single cell organisms, bioreactors, or aseptic technique preferred.