Barrett’s Mill Farm is a certified organic vegetable, fruit, and flower farm located on 15 acres of town-owned land in Concord, Massachusetts. We sell the large majority of our produce through our farm stand and our 250-member CSA. As part of our community-oriented goals, we also provide free CSA shares to two local non-profits, donate produce to food pantries weekly, and offer reduced-price memberships as part of the SNAP/HIP program.
In our eighth season, our goal is to continue to expand the variety and volume of our produce and flower offerings in response to community demand. We will also be implementing a grant in 2021 to automate our 4 high tunnels in order to improve efficiency and productivity throughout the farm. We’re particularly excited to continue to improve our high tunnel pepper and ginger growing and to expand our early spring offerings (especially flowers like tulips and ranunculus). Bigger picture, we strive to be a model for a financially viable business, an ecologically sustainable farm, and a great place for ourselves and our staff to work.
Barrett’s Mill Farm is seeking 1-2 Assistant Growers for the 2021 season to work directly with the farm manager/owners and as part of a team of 3 assistant growers and 4 – 6 part-time field crew. One of the Assistant Grower positions is focused on fieldwork (including tractor cultivation) and one of the positions is a combination of fieldwork and CSA distribution management.
- Work with the farm team on the day-to-day field and greenhouse tasks, including seeding, transplanting, mulching, hand weeding, hoeing, irrigation, harvesting, and farm store set-up and clean-up.
- Regular independent work includes greenhouse watering, light carpentry and maintenance projects, assisting with store stocking, and at least one day per week washing and other post-harvest vegetable handling.
- Help guide and lead the part-time field crew in tasks like harvesting and weeding.
- One Assistant Grower will be trained to use one of our Farmall 140 tractors and will have regular field cultivation responsibilities.
- One Assistant Grower will be trained in managing the CSA distribution. See our Shopkeeper job description below for an idea of what CSA distribution tasks entail.
- Follow food safety and COVID-19 safety protocols.
- Candidates with prior farming experience or who stay on for a second season would also have the opportunity to take on higher responsibility tasks like managing the greenhouse seeding, assisting with high tunnel management, or leading flower picking and arranging.
- Tuesday – Saturday, 7 am – 4 pm during the busiest season (schedule will vary slightly seasonally).
- April – Thanksgiving.
- Assistant Growers who stay on for a second season will have the possibility of additional hours in March.
- We can be somewhat flexible about start and end dates, but full-time availability by May is a must.
- A positive attitude, good sense of humor and a strong work ethic are essential qualities for this position.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and perform repetitive physical tasks in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to work efficiently independently, and cooperatively as a member of a small team. Comfortable taking direction as well as giving direction and guidance to less experienced crew members.
- Organized and attentive to detail.
- Punctual. Reliable transportation to the farm is essential as on-farm housing is not available.
- Experience working outdoors in all types of weather and/or experience in a fast-paced work environment.
- 1-2 seasons of prior farming experience.
Compensation and Benefits:
- $15/hour. Assistant Growers who stay on for a second season will be eligible for a raise.
- Fifteen-minute morning break is paid, 1 hour lunch break is unpaid.
- Assistant Growers who commit to the full season will be eligible for 1 week paid vacation after completing 12 weeks of employment in good standing.
- Assistant Growers will receive a CSA share, plus extra veggies as available.
- Access to farm records, including crop planning and budgeting tools.
- Optional participation in EMass CRAFT farm visits.
Phone: +1 978-254-5609