Chief Operations Officer (COO)
at California Certified Organic Farmers (CCOF)
CCOF advances organic agriculture for a healthy world. We advocate on behalf of our members for organic policies, support the growth of organic through education and grants, and provide organic certification that is personal and accessible.
CCOF is a nonprofit organization governed by the people who grow and make our food. Founded in California more than 40 years ago, today our roots span the breadth of North America and our presence is internationally recognized. We are supported by an organic family of farmers, ranchers, processors, retailers, consumers, and policymakers. Together, we work to realize a future where organic is the norm. CCOF’s home office is in Santa Cruz, California, and we have a growing family of staff located around North America.
About the Position:
CCOF is seeking a driven, business-focused COO to join our executive leadership team. We are seeking someone to bring fresh perspective and help us embrace big ideas. The COO will help us protect and grow the economic health of our organization by leading our business development strategies, including oversight of Finance, Sales & Marketing, and Information Technology.
As a key member of the Executive Team, the COO serves as a bridge between CCOF’s diverse services and programs, including collaborating closely with the CEO, Chief Certification Officer and Foundation Director on their budgets, staff retention and recruitment strategies, technological tools, and communication strategies. The right candidate will have a high level of integrity and a deep passion for our mission to advance organic agriculture for a healthy world. The COO must excel in a fast-paced, multifaceted environment and share our commitment to collaboration and clear communication. The right candidate will also share our commitment to equity and inclusivity.
This is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the CEO. Remote candidates may be considered if they have demonstrated an understanding of organic food systems and CCOF as well as experience working remotely with in-office teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field
- Experience managing organizational budgets over $10 million
- Nonprofit leadership experience, including understanding of nonprofit legal requirements and nonprofit financial statements
- Experience leading complex teams and supervising director-level staff
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly competent in Excel and data reporting
- Demonstrated history in effective project management
- Experience in reporting to governance bodies
- Commitment to collaboration, integrity, and transparency
- Excels in organizing complex systems, programs, and projects
- Direct experience in finances, marketing, sales, and information technology; experience in human resources a plus
- Demonstrated interest in organic food systems, experience in organic, food safety, or other certification services a plus
- Excellent listener and communicator with a passion for learning and a commitment to excellence
- A demonstrated commitment to building and supporting diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environments
- Passion for CCOF’s mission and demonstrated ability to engender trust, credibility, and confidence.
- Skilled in critical thinking, diplomacy, and discretion.