Grounded aims to scale regenerative agriculture in Africa. We work with farmers to enable them to produce regenerative agricultural products. We build companies to process these products, and bring high-quality regenerative ingredients to markets. We supply wholesalers and progressive brands with a selection of regeneratively produced tea, herbs, spices and oils. The two founders of Grounded will increasingly dedicate their time to growth of the organization, fundraising and strategic support to the teams on the ground. For this reason, Grounded has opened the new position of a Chief Operations Officer who takes the lead in further developing the organization and in structuring and managing the operations of the group. The COO will become a member of Grounded’s management team, consisting furthermore of the CEO and the Strategic Director. The goal of this position is to secure the functionality of business to drive extensive and sustainable growth. This function offers a unique opportunity to apply entrepreneurial and operational business skills in an emerging industry, focused on regenerating degraded farmland in a way that makes economic sense. You will become part of a highly motivated and passionate team of individuals with an office based in Cape Town, but team members spread across different landscapes where we work.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the COO is responsible:
● To drive operational excellence in the organisation: making sure business strategies are translated into operational plans, and these plans are executed in an efficient manner.
● For people development and all other HR functions for the Grounded group, including management of independent contractors.
● For the direct management for our support team (Logistics, International marketing & sales, IT)
● For overseeing financial management (the Financial Manager will report directly to the COO)
● For managing the office environment and related support services.
● For organizational structuring and legal affairs.
● For preparing reports for Board and external funders where necessary.
We are looking for candidates with the following profile:
● Senior manager with strong operational and entrepreneurial skills
● 7+ years relevant working experience, preferably in international teams
● Experience in rapidly growing organizations and in building partnerships
● Team player with leadership skills
● Affinity with Grounded’s mission
● Based in Cape Town and ability to work from our office in Woodstock 3 days a week
● People management skills, connector
● Structured without being rigid
● Transparent, consistent, humble
● Strong and confident
● Social emotional intelligence
● Primus interpares leadership style
● Accessible, supportive, open minded
Grounded offers a fair remuneration package in line with the level of this job and favors diversity in its organization. Depending on your profile, we expect this role to take a minimum of 32 hours per week. Grounded is located in Cape Town with operations across several countries in Africa, and a marketing team in the Netherlands. The COO is expected to be permanently based in Cape Town, and is expected to create as much face-time as possible with the team-members – through being present in the office and/or visiting landscape-based teams (as and when it is responsible to do so, taking COVID-19 into account).
If you wish to be considered for this position please send your resume and motivational letter to email@example.com, on or before the 15th of February.