Our mission is to make agroforestry a cornerstone of agriculture. Propagate Ventures makes it easy for investors to fund low-risk agroforestry projects, while helping farmers increase profitability, through our analytics & project development platform.
At Propagate, we’re an empathetic and charismatic team. We have a deep passion for nature, and of course, we love trees. We believe economics can work in harmony with nature, and that regenerative agriculture can be a financial and ecological success. Outside of work, you’ll find us connecting locally with farmers, playing music, and getting active outdoors. Read our manifesto, and meet our founding team.
We are seeking a passionate Director of Engineering to help us build great products. This new role focuses on effective product development, while ensuring all internal systems operate securely and effectively.
As a key member of the team, you’ll cultivate our product to ensure we use innovative technologies that maximize productivity and company growth.
What you’ll do
- Structure product development, build, test, and iterate on product goals on time and within budget.
- Help guide our strategy through design, prototyping, and market research.
- Write clean, modern, testable, well-documented code. Ship your code to production, and debug it when it breaks.
- Structure databases and create an architecture based on existing datasets.
- Oversee front-end and back-end development teams and their projects.
- Monitor reliability and performance of all internal systems to suggest improvements.
- Ensure compliance with security regulations.
- Review and update policies relevant to internal systems and equipment.
- Handle and report on software development projects goals and timelines, as well as progress and roadblocks.
- Hire contracted developers and data scientists and coordinate their training.
- Coordinate with external stakeholders for new integrations and tools.
- Work on an Agile team in CI/CD environment building microservices.
- Create and adhere to departmental monthly and annual budgets, sprint peer code reviews and progress reports.
- Be part of the rotating weekly on-call, in the event of an emergency outage.
- Resolve product support requests on a day-to-day basis.
- Other duties may be assigned, and participation in special projects as required.
Who you are
- You have proven software development experience using multiple program languages and frameworks.
- Like us, you value creativity, curiosity, and intellectual honesty, and you are committed to solving problems as a team.
- You’re passionate about creating a positive impact, and are motivated to join a small, incredibly productive team to do extraordinary things!
You have the following skills and experience (if you don’t have a listed skill or experience, we still encourage you to apply):
- Previous experience in a similar senior-level position on an engineering team.
- Extensive experience with coding standards, code reviews, and source control.
- Know the web platform (HTML, CSS, HTTP, JSON).
- In-depth knowledge of relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL) and NoSQL databases (e.g. MongoDB).
- Experience using system monitoring tools (e.g. New Relic) and automated testing frameworks.
- Consistent record of shipping features on time and on budget.
- Keen business sense, with the ability to find creative business-oriented solutions to problems.
- Strong sense of honesty, high ethical standards, reliability, and trustworthiness; holding yourself mutually accountable with the team.
Additional education & experience that could be helpful
- BSc/MSc in Engineering, Computer Science or relevant field.
- Demonstrated experience writing REST APIs.
- 1+ years experience working with relevant GIS technologies (Google Maps, Mapbox, Esri, ArcGIS, MapInfo, AutoCAD or otherwise).
- Demonstrated experience with AWS & related services (EC2, EBS, networking, S3, RDS).
- Experience with machine learning and algorithm development.
- Experience writing database migrations.
Who we are
At Propagate, we believe that by equipping people with the best tools to solve problems, we can tackle big challenges, together! We’re always looking for talented people who are interested in building a more resilient future. We are a venture-backed startup, founded in 2017, backed by The Grantham Environmental Trust, Techstars, Elemental Excelerator and Exelon Foundation.
Propagate is strongly committed to equity in its policies, practices, and programs.
People of color, women, LGBTQ-identifying, individuals with disabilities and/or veterans are encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.Apply via Regen Farming News →
Phone: 908 448 1863