Fall Grazing Assistant
at Rock’s End Farm
Closing date: 2020-11-11
Nestled in the beautiful Gatineau Hills just 5 minutes from the village of Wakefield, Quebec, Rock’s End Farm is a 300-acre certified organic farm providing sustainably raised meats and wool to the members of our community. We raise sheep for wool and meat, beef cattle, dairy cattle (for home consumption), pastured pork, and pastured poultry.
We provide our products to the public via farmgate sales, home-delivery and neighbourhood drop sites, and sales at the farmers’ market and craft fairs (some of these cancelled for 2020 due to COVID-19). You can read more about our farm on our website, www.RocksEndFarm.ca.
We use regenerative and organic practices to ensure that our farm enhances water quality, biodiversity, and soil health. With our animals, we use rotational grazing as a tool to improve soil health and animal health and well-being. We borrow concepts from permaculture and holistic management to help us create a resilient, ecologically abundant, farm system. Our farm is a lively environment rich in learning opportunities. Through partnerships and collaborations, we work together with other local farmers to improve our farms and create a stronger local food economy.
We are looking for somebody who:
- Is keenly interested in organic, regenerative, livestock-based agriculture.
- Possesses a high level of personal integrity, responsibility for self, and a strong work ethic.
- Works safely and efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Is prepared to work outside, on rugged terrain, in all weather conditions.
- Has the ability to carry up to 40 lbs.
- Has great organizational and spatial visualization skills.
- Can work well with others or independently.
- Previous farm experience is strongly preferred.
As the Grazing Assistant, you will:
- Move the animals to fresh grass on a regular basis by taking down and setting up electric fencing
- Observe animals, take note of condition of the animals and the forage
- Help with animal care procedures such as shearing and hoof trimming
- Take pictures of the animals and land for social media purposes
- Assist with farm maintenance including fencing, farm building repairs, and farm cleanup
- Packing boxes of meat and helping with inventory management
- Help out during customer days, when folks come to the farm to pick up their orders