Boldly Grown Farm is a family-owned, certified organic mixed vegetable farm in the beautiful Skagit Valley of Washington State. Our primary focus is on wholesale production of fall and winter crops for sale between September and March. We utilize scale-appropriate machinery to save time, reduce wear and tear on our bodies and increase efficiency and productivity. We sell to numerous retailers and wholesalers in Washington and Oregon and also offer a ~200-member winter CSA program that is distributed in Seattle, Skagit Valley, and Bellingham. We take pride in our high-quality products, and we love growing a lot of food and feeding a lot of people! Now entering our 7th growing season, we are expanding to 25 acres of vegetable production in 2021, including increased production of spring and summer crops. Our crew is 5-9 people depending on the time of year. We strive to foster a positive, collaborative team environment.
About the Job
We’re looking for two hard-working, positive individuals to join our full-time, seasonal Farm Crew. These individuals report to the Farm Manager but will also take direction from lead crew members. One individual will be assigned to harvest crew and one will be assigned to pack shed crew during our busy harvest season, though tasks will be similar for both positions for the majority of the spring/summer. Our operations are fairly mechanized, however Farm Crew work still involves long hours spent standing, bending, squatting and kneeling in all weather conditions while carrying out repetitive tasks. Positions are seasonal, ending approximately Feb 2022; there may be opportunities for continued employment.
- Field work: seeding, transplant care, transplanting, mechanical cultivation, hand weeding, hoeing, irrigation, materials application, pest management, tractor operation, field clean up, etc.
- Harvest and post-harvest handling: harvesting produce efficiently, safely and consistently, washing and packing produce for wholesale markets and CSA, cleaning and sanitizing harvest containers and tools, local deliveries, following food safety practices and protocols, record keeping
- Other farm tasks as needed (construction, repair, errands, etc.)
- Employees are expected to follow all health department and BGF COVID-19 guidelines/protocols
- Previous farm experience preferred though not required
- Strong work ethic and positive attitude; able to keep up morale throughout long days
- Excellent attention to detail, product quality, and food safety procedures
- Enjoys working both individually and on a team
- Able to take direction, learn quickly, ask for help/clarity as needed, and accept and act on constructive feedback
- Good time management skills; able to shift focus quickly based on changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Physically fit; able to work long hours in any weather and lift 50+ lbs repeatedly
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record (you will be added to our commercial vehicle insurance) as well as a cell phone and reliable transportation
- Mechanical skills/aptitude a plus; (training will be provided on all farm equipment)
- Full-time hourly April/May 2021 through approximately February 2022; exact start/end dates to be determined based on candidate’s availability and business needs; potential for continued employment
- Approximately 35-45 hours/week
- We work a Sunday-Thursday schedule with occasional work on Fri/Sat if needed
- Our usual start time is 8am, weather-dependent
- $14.00-15.00/hour DOE
- Overtime pay: Time and a half above 40 hours/week
- 40 hours paid vacation
- Paid Sick Leave (1 hour accrued per 40 hours worked)
- Paid Family Medical Leave (WA state program)
- Workers’ compensation insurance via L&I
- Free/discounted farm produce
- Learning opportunities on a diversified, mechanized vegetable farm.
- Please note we are not able to offer on-farm housing, though we’ll do our best to help you find housing nearby if needed.
Phone: (206) 795-5715