at Belltown Farms
Belltown Farms is recruiting for a Farm Director to lead production and related farm activities at our showcase farm in the Hudson Valley.
About Belltown Farms
Belltown Farms owns and operates large scale farms in the US, transitioning land to USDA certified organic, and operating them in line with regenerative principles.
Belltown believes that regenerative farming provides an opportunity to produce healthy food, while having a positive impact on soil health, biodiversity, carbon emissions and local communities, as well as delivering compelling financial returns for investors. In 2019, Belltown raised a $100 million investment fund to acquire 10,000 – 15,000 acres of farmland by 2021, spread among 5-8 farms in the Midwest and other parts of the US. The wider Belltown group has successfully raised and invested ca. US$500m into sustainable infrastructure in the US and UK since 2013.
About the Showcase Farm
In addition to 5-8 large scale farms in the Midwest and other parts of the US, Belltown will operate a “showcase farm” in the Hudson Valley. This will be a commercial farm, operating ~1,500 acres, primarily in grains. It will serve as the headquarters for Belltown’s farming operations, hosting a broad range of functions including grain trading, farmer training, and crop trials.
Given its location near Manhattan, the Hudson Valley farm will also act as the public-facing arm of Belltown, helping to catalyse broad adoption of regenerative farming practices through engagement with a broad range of influencers (chefs, consumers, scientists, politicians). Over time it will likely develop a hospitality offering, hosting educational events, collaborating with partners throughout the local and global food community, and offering produce to the public directly via a farmshop and cafe.
As farm director, you will be responsible for:
- Farming Operations: managing all farming operations at the farm, including USDA organic certification, defining crop rotations, sourcing inputs, managing team and machinery, and securing offtake for crops.
- Business strategy: Develop the business strategy and implement effectively; preparing and implementing budgets; monitoring and reporting on financial performance.
- Training Belltown Farming Team: develop training programmes to share best practices across the Belltown farming teams both in Hudson Valley and in other Belltown farming hubs across the US (will be ~40-50 farmers by 2022), contributing to professional development, culture, quality assurance, health and safety.
- Regenerative Farming: thought leadership on regenerative approach to farming, across soil health, seed, animal welfare, biodiversity, carbon emissions and community. Defining and managing crop trials to support Belltown’s large-scale farms in midwest and elsewhere.
As the ideal candidate for this position, you will have the following experience and skills:
- Knowledge of diverse areas of farming (row crops, vegetables, permanent crops, livestock) in the Hudson Valley or similar environments;
- Hands on experience managing 200 acres+ of certified organic farmland profitably;
- Experience developing farm budgets and delivering profitable farming operations;
- Demonstrated ability to share skills and knowledge with others, training teams and developing people effectively; and
- Enthusiasm for regenerative agriculture.