at W.D. Dickinson: Farm, House, Mercantile
Founded in 1888, and revived in 2012, W.D. Dickinson: Farm, House, Mercantile is an heirloom fruit, vegetable and herb farm, historic event venue and modern-day general store. We are firmly rooted in providing real food, historic methods, and authentic experiences for those who crave reconnecting in our modern world.
Our flagship property in National City hosts a 1/3-acre market garden on a ¾ acre on a historic property (W.D.D. Farm). We also have a up and coming 2-acre orchard in Chula Vista, positional growth to maintain or manage these properties is available.
The W.D.D. Farm grows heirloom, seasonally appropriate crops using organic and sustainable techniques. Emphasis is placed on utilization of all portions of the plant and the plant’s life-cycle. The Farm supplies fresh vegetables, fruit, and herbs to the Mercantile and House for the benefit of customers and members. The Farm and edible landscaping of the grounds serve an important role in teaching visitors about area history and horticulture.
Farm & Edible Landscaping:
- Perform all regular farm tasks including harvest, planting, weeding, bed preparation, and general maintenance
- Perform daily maintenance of seasonal vegetable crops; seasonal maintenance of orchards and food forest
- Plant, manage and maintain the farm using organic and sustainable growing methods
- Focus on soil building, crop rotations and integrated pest management strategies
- Become familiar with different crop varieties and harvest standards
- Maintain and improve garden infrastructure: arbors, fencing, drip irrigation, long rows and raised beds.
- Maintain perennial plantings
- Remove weeds, invasives around property.
- Ability to work independently, but not in a vacuum
- Be punctual
- Have excellent attention to detail
- Interact and communicate well with all staff
- At least two years of experience growing produce in a commercial garden or farm
- Understanding crop planning principles
- Speak fluent English, have a driver’s license and be able to lift and carry at least 50lbs
- Ability to operate light machinery (drill, trimmers, etc)
- Be able to perform physically demanding tasks in all weather conditions
- Experience growing on the California Coast, in estate horticulture, culinary gardening or market gardening
- Experience with organic and sustainable growing methods
- Experience soil management principles