at Veggies to Table
Closing date: 2020-08-15
Veggies to Table seeks an experienced farm manager to plan and implement our grow-to-donate farm in Newcastle, Maine. We grow top quality organic produce to donate to the food insecure population in our area. In our first season we donated over 4250 pounds of food, over 100 bouquets of flowers, partnered with over 30 local groups, agencies and education programs and served many hundreds of people in our community. Aside from growing amazing organic produce and flowers to donate to local people experiencing food insecurity we aim to create deep community connections through our volunteer programs, and provide education around healthy food.
About the Position:
We are in search of a farm manager who is committed to organic, no-till farming, is excited about servicing our community, and is able to manage over a 1/2 acre of diversified vegetables, fruit and a small orchard (with a team). Our farm manager will be in charge of crop planning, record keeping, and, in conjunction with the owner, making sure that all work gets done effectively by workers, interns and volunteers.
Our ideal candidate is someone who is looking to take on the responsibility of managing vegetable production. This person will have experience or understanding of organic no-till practices. Orchard management and flower production is a plus but not essential.
- Manage the farm’s 1/2 acre no till permanent bed system
- Continue and develop upon existing crop plans, crop rotation, succession and companion planting
- Keeping accurate and timely harvest records, and other record keeping
- Order seeds and amendments in a timely manner in conjunction with the owner
- Perform soil tests and manage soil health/fertility
- Oversee plant health of crops
- Manage pests organically
- Manage the small orchard using organic/holistic practices
- Communicate regularly with owners
- Provide training and education for students, volunteers and apprentices and farm workers
- Minimum 3 years organic farm experience
- Knowledge of fruit and vegetable production
- Greenhouse and propagation experience desired
- Good Communication skills
- Interested in building community
- Depending on the candidate, we are open to a part or full time position in summer and part-time in off-season.