at Mulloon Creek Natural Farms
Closing date: 2020-11-11
Mulloon Creek Natural Farms is looking to recruit a Farm Manager (FM) with good business sense and a minimum of ten years’ farm management experience.
The successful applicant will have managed profitable farms and will be familiar with all aspects of livestock, grazing and pasture management in a regenerative agricultural setting. A proven ability to work collaboratively with staff who are involved in all aspects of the Mulloon Institute (TMI) will be required. You will have sound financial management skills and, working with the CEO and CFO, develop the farm budget. You will understand the relationship between on-farm activity and financial consequences.
Our farms promote Regenerative Agriculture and Holistic Farming practices. It is important that you have a solid and current understanding of these concepts and approaches and how they can be implemented at Mulloon Creek Natural Farms (MCNF). Our farms are run organically using biodynamic principals so an understanding of, and commitment to these methodologies is also required.
Outstanding candidates will display leadership skills, are keen problem solvers who are focused on efficiency and take a hands-on approach to management. You are expected to be self-driven and ambitious, demonstrate initiative, and have excellent decision making and problem-solving skills. You will be required to engage with a range of stakeholders including farmers, researchers and educators so you will have excellent communication skills, be polite, a good listener and have a friendly demeanor.
The Farm Manager is responsible for the management of farm staff and farm operations on two properties, that together form Mulloon Creek Natural Farms: The Home Farm and Duralla. The Home Farm is predominantly a cattle grazing enterprise while Duralla, located 5 kilometres from the Home Farm, has cattle and a large scale free range poultry enterprise. You will be expected to work closely with the managers of this enterprise.
An understanding of policy and procedure manuals as they apply to farm management and a contemporary understanding of Industrial legislation and HR policy and procedure will be required. The role reports to the CEO.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maximise farm returns in line with Mulloon Creek Natural Farms business targets.
- Responsible for budget and cash flow management and oversee the maintenance of technical and administrative records.
- Prepare and deliver reports on Farm Operations to the CEO for the Board of the Mulloon Institute
- Collaborate with senior staff to prepare budgets and financial reports.
- Direct and supervise all staff in farm operations and ensure the application of safe and appropriate animal welfare practices.
- Ensure a happy and collaborative working environment which also provides for creating opportunities for careers in agriculture within our organisation.
- Effectively communicate with staff and ensuring staff are motivated and well led.
- Provide opportunities for MCNF staff to learn about and implement regenerative agricultural practices promoted by the Mulloon Institute.
- Perform farm operations associated with the management of our poultry and cattle enterprises.
- Manage pasture for landscape and stock health and collect management data using software and data management tools.
- Support activities and operations required for research projects.
- Assist with education extension activities such as field days including demonstrations.
- In conjunction with research and other regional staff, plan and implement the maintenance and development of resources and facilities.
- Scheduling repairs, maintenance, and replacement of fences, equipment and machinery.
- Ensure all staff adhere to health and safety regulations.
- Assist with the recruitment and training of new staff members.
- Build professional networks and keep abreast of developments in agricultural science.
Selection Criteria Essential:
- Proven ability to operate profitable farm enterprises and manage finances within budget.
- Broad knowledge and previous experience of cattle station and mixed farming operations management.
- An understanding of regenerative agriculture and its practical application.
- Technical expertise in farm operations including land preparation and farm maintenance operations.
- Proven ability to lead and direct staff to ensure a safe and effective workplace.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate with the public, producers and researchers.
- Ability to interact effectively with people of diverse cultures.
- Experience with computers and familiar with relevant software packages.
- An appropriate Degree, Diploma or equivalent in agriculture or related field from a recognised institution and/or extensive relevant experience.
- Accommodation and utilities
- Work Vehicle
- Opportunities for professional development through: courses run at the Mulloon Institute, interaction with Mulloon Consulting team, and engagement with a variety of leaders in regenerative agriculture
- A diverse and interesting role with the opportunity to develop farm enterprises in line with MCNF and TMI philosophies