Wardensville Garden Market is a nonprofit social enterprise whose mission is to expand opportunities for Appalachian youth so they grow to reach their greatest potential. We create living classrooms to provide real-life learning experiences and generate proceeds that are 100% reinvested back into the program. In 2016, Farms Work Wonders launched the Wardensville Garden Market project—an organic farm, market, and bakery that has currently created over 100 local, good-paying jobs with most held by local high school students, and we continue to grow.
The Farm at WGM is a certified organic, four-season farm. We grow a diverse assortment of crops and maintain a flock of layer hens to serve our CSA, Market, Bakery, and additional farmers markets. A Production Kitchen for value-added goods is scheduled to be operational in early 2021. Our main site is 100 beautiful acres of river-bottom land along the Cacapon River in Wardensville, WV. We currently grow our produce and herbs on 4 intensively-managed acres, including 2 high tunnels, a greenhouse, and multiple caterpillar tunnels.
We are seeking an experienced, dedicated Farm Manager to join our collaborative farm team. If you join our team you will work closely with the Agriculture Director, our Farm-Based Educator, and Admin Manager to produce abundant delicious, high-quality food. You’ll be key to helping us meet growing revenue goals, reduce expenses, and fuel the vision for this land moving forward – all in ways that also provide meaningful learning experiences for youth and conserve the environment.
- Oversee the production of ample delicious, fresh, high quality produce to meet current demand and generate more.
- Manage our CSA, farmers markets, wholesale accounts, and intra-organizational sales in ways that delight customers and keep them coming back for more.
- Execute the production plan, including creating weekly and seasonal work schedules.
- Perform fieldwork while acting as a pacesetter and leader of the Agriculture Crew to ensure that farm tasks are completed in accordance with the weekly and seasonal work schedules.
- Manage Agriculture Crew performance, including providing training and consistent, actionable feedback to ensure that they have the appropriate knowledge and skills for the assigned tasks.
- Accurately maintain detailed records relating to maintenance, seeding, planting, harvesting, spraying, food safety, and organic certification.
- Perform and oversee tractor/BCS work, irrigation, general fieldwork, quality control, food safety measures, and help generate social media content.
- Perform any other task or activity required to ensure the smooth operation of the farm and nonprofit organization.
- Minimum of two years experience managing an organic market farm preferred; experience supervising at least one-two staff people.
- Clear track record of meeting sales goals, limiting expenses, and managing budgets.
- Ability to work inside and outside in all weather conditions, lift up to 60lbs and stand for long periods of time.
- An exceptional work ethic and sense of responsibility for the farm’s success.
- Must be 100% reliable, have strong communication skills, and an eagerness to problem-solve with a team.
- Must have weekend availability.
- A strong commitment to growing high-quality food in a way that is respectful of, and beneficial to, the broader environment.
- Enthusiasm for our mission and interest in youth development.
- Familiarity with Google Suite and Tend a plus.
Phone: (304) 470-8050