As farmland preservation farmers, we grow to produce and raise livestock on 60 acres of land at the Scatter Creek Farm and Conservancy in Rochester. We left the Tumwater land we farmed for 20 years in 2013 to be the anchor farmers in a project that preserves 150 acres of beautiful agricultural land and river habitat. Growing food on preserved land is so much more than we ever imagined.
As soon as we were settled, we saw the pieces fall into place:
- We have peace of mind. The land we farm can never be sold out from under us.
- We are invested. We purchased our house, the milking parlor, and several other buildings on the property, making us full land preservation partners.
- We work in community. Our partners in the land trust and the local conservancy work together with us to ensure that the land is healthy and that farming and conservation practices work in harmony.
We can’t think of a better way to structure our lives and our vocation, or a loftier goal than to grow good food for you in collaboration with the earth itself.
We are a diversified farm, producing certified organic vegetables, grains, and chicken, pasture-raised pork and lamb, and bone broth and chicken stock. We primarily sell at local farmers’ markets where we enjoy meeting our customers and talking about good things to eat all day long!
We are looking for smart, tough, and detail-oriented laborers to join our farm crew. There are several positions open with a variety of start and end dates. The ideal candidate will possess a strong interest in food and farming, enjoy working on a team and be ready for a challenge.
The primary responsibility is to harvest, wash and pack produce. Perform fieldwork including, but not limited to transplanting, hand weeding, and hoeing.
Full and part-time positions available.
Background and skills desired:
- One season previous farm experience preferred, but not necessary.
- Flexibility and desire to learn new methods of farm systems.
- Good communication skills.
- Energetic, fun, and motivated personality.
- Excellent work ethic and positive attitude.
- Conscientious and able to work with all kinds of people.
- Strongback and knees.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Willingness to fully commit to the farm for the season.