At Carnation Farms, we celebrate good food and the changes that good food can bring. We believe that food is a connector, a common ground that brings people together. From locally-sourced ingredients to hands-on events, we’re helping change the food system so that eating good food becomes a daily joy available to everyone, every day, at every meal!
About the Position:
Carnation Farms operates an organic farm and livestock operation that serves as the foundation for our Farmer-in-training (FIT) program. We grow new farmers, equipping them with the knowledge and skills they need to make a positive difference in the sustainable production of organic food. We are looking for a hard-working and motivational Field Manager and Lead Ag Instructor to work closely with our Director of Agricultural Production and beginning farmers.
The Field Manager and Lead Ag Instructor mentors and leads beginning farmers in production agriculture with a focus on the annual plan for vegetable and livestock operations, propagation, harvest, planning, postharvest, and distribution to our culinary department, Farmstand, CSA, Farmers Markets, and other wholesale customers.
- Executes and aids in the development of curriculum for the FIT apprenticeship program
- Manages the production acreage by implementing plans generated by the Director of Agricultural Production, to include field prep, planting, harvest, irrigation, and post-harvest.
- Works to build collaborations and partnerships with schools, farms, local organizations, restaurants, growers, and other farm entities in the Snoqualmie Valley and beyond
- Must work effectively and balanced with production, mentoring, and teaching objectives
- Leads farm tours and field walks
- Tillage, Cultivation, Weeding & Thinning (tractors, wheel hoes, stirrup hoes, hand weeding)
- Farmers Markets and CSA distribution
- Assist with Livestock as needed
Other Specific Requirements:
- Have at least 3 years of farm experience in a decision-making role (crew lead, field lead, etc.).
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience teaching or leading trainings.
- Candidates must be committed to the farming lifestyle and all that it demands.
- Attention to detail is critical and a passion for growing food is essential.
- The ability to meet the physical requirements of the position, including lifting heavy objects (50+ lbs.), working outside in all weather conditions, and working around animals.
- Experience/understanding of farming for a non-profit organization
- Completion of a farmer training program, or a 4-year degree in environmental studies, agriculture, or related field
- Comfortable working independently and with an amazing team of peers
- Organizational skills, record keeping, and directing the work of others
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to follow directions and problem solve
- Ability to multi-task and work with a sense of urgency
- Ability to use a computer, email, and excel programs
- Flexibility, sensitivity, strong communication, time-management and people skills are essential.
- Valid driver’s license: this position requires driving company vehicles to market, as well as for making deliveries.
- Willingness to undergo a background check: we offer shared housing, operate guest-facing programs, summer camps, and school programs.
- $43,000 – $45,000 DOE
- Shared housing if needed
- Vegetables, paid time off, health, dental and vision insurance, etc.