At Esalen, we believe in the power of our potential — both in our staff and in our global community of students and faculty who turn to us for transformative learning experiences. More than 50 years ago, Esalen co-founders imagined a place inspired by Abraham Maslow’s psychology of peak experiences and Aldous Huxley’s belief in “human potentialities”, the unrealized capacities of our mind and body. Today we build on this legacy by creating deep connections in a world challenged by disconnection and isolation; reigniting awe and wonder to spark greater curiosity about ourselves and others; and asking the questions that can lead to transformative change both for an individual and society.
Esalen isn’t just a place to work, it’s an invitation to help change the world.
The Grounds Supervisor role plays a key part of the Esalen Facilities team in all areas the department oversees, including supervising one or several crews that work simultaneously throughout Esalen’s properties. This will include supervising more complex and dangerous projects where a particular expertise and eye towards safety is needed, such as, chipping, chain-sawing, storm cleanup, large equipment operation, wood splitting, wood lot management, native restoration and invasive plant/pest control.
- Hiring and overseeing subcontractors.
- Authorizing timecard hours for department personnel.
- Coordinate requests from all departments for any and all safety issues or hazardous conditions immediately.
- Assist the Director in continually developing and executing a comprehensive all-property maintenance plan.
- Assist the Director with developing and revising departmental policies and procedures.
- Overseeing all care, maintenance and inventory of Grounds equipment.
- Assist the Director in overseeing the departmental budget including timely submittal of all invoices to Accounts Payable and following up with vendors when needed.
- Setting the Ground’s work schedule along side the Director and arranging for needed deviations in the schedule due to rain, illness, emergencies or any special needs.
- Help create, manage and maintain safe working practices and working environment.
- Be on call to handle any storm related emergencies, day or night.
- Attending the weekly Leadership meeting.
- Attending the weekly All-Hands meetings.
- Must have at least 2-3 years of previous supervisory experience.
- Be able to supervise skilled and unskilled personnel of widely varying ages and backgrounds.
- Be in good physical condition, able to walk miles a day, lift heavy things (50+ pounds), work on ladders, roofs and walk on uneven surfaces.
- Have the ability to handle inter & intra personal difficulties.
- Be able to teach landscape and plant care skills to people with no previous experience.
- Be able to train personnel/operate on necessary equipment, such as lawn mowers, weed whackers, chain saws, chippers, splitters, and front loaders.
- Be able to maintain/repair equipment and small engine machines.
- Have a good working knowledge about plants.
- Have a good knowledge or be able to learn about Big Sur natives and other plants that are appropriate for this climate.
- Be knowledgeable and able to plan for seasonal plantings and fertilizing.
- Have a working knowledge about irrigation: how to design, install, repair and maintain irrigation systems, following our water conservation practices.
- Have a good knowledge about pruning plants and trees.
Esalen functions best when all staff work toward the common mission of encouraging everyone to reach our highest human potential. With this goal in mind, this job description is not intended to cover or contain an all-encompassing listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice based on Esalen’s and your team’s needs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to maneuver on uneven ground, drive trucks, tractors, backhoe and other heavy equipment, often carry and lift up to 60 pounds, handle and use tools and machinery, and stand, bend, squat, and kneel for long periods of time. There is some exposure to dust, fumes, gas and chemicals.
This role offers a generous benefits package including competitive pay commensurate with experience, medical and dental insurance, and paid time off. In alignment with Esalen’s mission in advancing human potential, staff are encouraged to engage in a wide range of personal and professional development programs designed by Esalen faculty and staff.
Esalen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Apply via Regen Farming News →
Phone: +1 831-667-3000