Full Moon Farm is a grass-fed, grass-finished beef, pastured pork and lamb producing farm located in the Hudson Valley. What began on a 5 acre parcel in our hometown, quickly evolved into a cooperative farming project with our neighbours which has restored over 1,000 acres of prime farmland in the Hudson Valley back to pastures and hay fields. Our holistic farming practices have yielded steady improvement to the once dormant farmland and have returned livestock to their natural grass diet. We are committed to be good stewards of the land, so that we can ensure the historic farmlands will remain for future generations to enjoy.
About the Role:
The job entails the following regular responsibilities:
- Well managed grazing practices to ensure our animals are fed the best quality forage at the right levels and given clean, cool water at all times. In the growing season this involves moving rotational grazing to fresh pasture on a daily basis. We use a mix of permanent, semi-permanent and temporary fencing with electrical charges to keep our stock in and predators out. In winter, stored forage (round hay and/or baleage bales) is fed every day, usually twice a day. We also stockpile grazing forage so we still move some or most of the livestock on a regular basis unless prevented from doing so by weather. Some winter feeding is outside, some in the barns. We currently raise pastured raised pork and lamb on a seasonal basis.
- Managing animal health.
- Fence maintenance. Keeping the electrical charge high at all times is vital to keep predators out of the pastures.
- Learning to handle Working Border Collie. We will have one remaining on the farm.
- Machinery. Tractor and skid-steer driving will be necessary for brush-hogging, mowing temporary fence-lines, bale-hauling and hay-making, however we are willing to train.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A keen desire to learn and practice the art and science of raising100% grass-fed and finished livestock with regenerative agricultural practices including calving.
- Willingness to work with other farm hands to help manage all aspects of the animals with an understanding that over time will include additional general farm management.
- Strong interest in identifying plants/forage types that are beneficial to our animals and those that are not
- Experience with ruminants is preferable but not required
- Experience with calving and tagging, willing to train
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Proven ability to work with and relate to animals
- Willingness to learn how to identify and treat sickness in the herd
- An affinity/empathy with with landowners and animals
- The ability to drive vehicles (farm truck, tractors and UTVs). Training will be supplied in this area if experience is lacking.
- The mindset necessary to catch to handle beef cattle.
- Strong organisational skills necessary to proactively manage a diverse workload
- We are looking to find someone that is highly motivated, willing to learn, work with others and can grow with the farm.
Phone: (845) 629-1462