Upward Farms grows leafy greens and fish with the highest ecological and quality standards so that everyone can nourish their body, family, and the planet. With 95% of leafy greens grown on the West Coast and 90% of seafood imported, our mission is to heal the broken food system and reconnect eaters with flavorful and nutritious local food.
We design and operate complete ecosystems of plants and fish in vertical farms, supplying these organic and local products to grocers. Our new Headquarters Farm in Greenpoint, Brooklyn is focused on growing organic microgreen packaged salads and sustainably-raised striped bass for NYC-area grocery stores. With high-tech indoor vertical farming, we grow the freshest, nutrient-packed local food anywhere in the world (even Brooklyn).
In this role, you will work on a team of Indoor Farmers and report to our Farm Operations leaders at our Headquarters Farm in Greenpoint. The Farm Operations team runs all growing and processing activities for our packaged salads, utilizes and maintains best-in-class automation systems and equipment, and supports aquaculture (fish farming) operations as needed. The day-to-day will be focused on seeding, maintaining plant health and environmental conditions, harvesting, washing, packaging, and shipping / receiving.
The ideal candidate is passionate about plants, animals, and good food. Success in this job demands attention to detail, efficiency, and a hunger to learn. Upward Farms will provide specialized on-the-job training to build skills for advancement within our company and for the rapidly growing food processing and agriculture technology industries.
- Be a key player in farm operations including seeding, harvesting, washing / drying, packaging, and shipping / receiving.
- Clean and maintain facilities and equipment for safe and smooth operations.
- Maintain the highest levels of food safety, animal welfare, adhering to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Ensure a healthy environment for our plants, fish, and people by helping to collect and track a variety of metrics, responding to any conditions outside of acceptable ranges.
- Monitor the farm for disease and pests utilizing Integrated Pest Management practices.
- Support R&D projects through growing trials and other experiments.
- Be a key user for our Software and Engineering teams, providing feedback and insights for the development of better tools to run our farms.
- Work with the Aquaculture Manager to assist in caring for fish from early life to harvest, track their growth, and monitor changing environmental conditions.
- Work with the Technicians to troubleshoot issues with machinery, equipment, and systems.
- Arrive on time and stay on track for precisely scheduled farming shifts.
- Comfortable with handling fish, agricultural materials, and getting dirty.
- Able to take direction and ownership of delegated tasks.
- Be able to lift, carry, push, and pull weights up to 50 pounds.
- Wear a facemask (minimum requirements set by company) while on-site.
- Physically fit, reliable, detail-oriented, organized, hard-working, self-motivated.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, can work effectively as part of a team, enjoy giving and receiving feedback.
- Stand for 8 hour shifts and engage in repetitive activities such as bending and squatting.
- Ability to work in a cold climate-controlled environment (40-45°F) for extended periods of time.
- Maintain high standards of hygiene to promote food safety and quality assurance.
- Demonstrate safe work practices at all times.
- Maintain a reliable form of transportation to and from our Greenpoint farm.
- Expected 40 hour work week. Weekend availability required, with weekend shifts rotating.
- High school diploma or G.E.D. certificate.
- Either of the following: (a) 2 years work experience in farming, food production/service, warehousing, or manufacturing; or (b) relevant vocational training, a college degree, or other higher education.
- Authorized to work in the USA.
Preferred Skills + Experience
- Previous work in agriculture/horticulture, food production/service, manufacturing, or other related fields.
- Previous use of Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), OSHA, and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) protocols.