Commonland Foundation is an Amsterdam-based, internationally operating organization working on large-scale and long-term landscape restoration initiatives. And we’re on a mission: to transform 100 million ha of degraded landscapes before 2040 together with other landscape partners, farmers, policymakers, companies, and investors. To make this happen we have developed the ‘4 Returns’ framework. A practical and holistic approach to transform degraded ecosystems into vibrant landscapes and communities by focusing on 4 key returns supported by landscape zones over the course of a single generation, or 20 years.
As an open, driven, and enthusiastic team of professionals, we are all working dedicated to our mission to restore landscapes. We have defined three core values which we strongly recognize ourselves: Empower each other, Honest & Compassionate, and Put words into action.
We empower and challenge ourselves and colleagues and provide them with the needed support to grow. We are interested in trying to understand the other and tease out misunderstandings if and when they occur. Last but not least, we say what we do: proactive information sharing and gathering as a lot of our work is relevant across teams and relies on cross-team collaboration.
To achieve our mission to restore 100 million ha of degraded land sufficient public and private funding need to be mobilized to scale up restoration initiatives. We believe it is necessary to measure the impact of landscape restoration to realize this. For this reason, we have developed the 4 Returns landscape valuation method. As we want to further develop this method and measure our impact, we are looking for a
Landscape Finance Specialist: The position
We are seeking a Landscape Finance Specialist who will support our senior Senior Landscape Finance Specialist to further test, review and develop our 4 Returns landscape valuation method and related tooling, present it to different global audiences and support our management team in strategic issues related to mobilizing funding for landscape restoration.
In this position, you will translate complex landscape restoration projects into comprehensive plans and financial models, measure the impact and value of 4 Returns landscape restoration, and communicate this to government representatives, investors, and landscape practitioners.
As a (sustainable) finance professional, your experience will include:
- A Master’s degree preferably in Business, Economics/Econometrics, Finance, Environmental Sciences/Economics, or a related field.
- You have between circa 3 to 7 years of experience in corporate/project/structured finance, agribusiness, true cost/price accounting, or sustainable/conservation finance.
- A strong financial background, with solid finance knowledge and experience with financial modeling. Experience in the field of ecology, forestry, and/or agriculture is a plus.
- You have the ability to engage and connect with stakeholders from the finance, government, and investment sectors as well as eco-agricultural experts and farmers.
- You can understand complex landscape settings and translate and structure these into plans, financial models, and presentations understood and accepted by the financial, government, and business sectors
- Excellent communication skills: you speak the language of investors and can explain complex financial issues to non-experts
- Fluent in both written and spoken English. Other languages (like Spanish, French, or Dutch) are a plus.
- Strong drive to support Commonland’s mission and an interest in nature restoration and conservation, regenerative agriculture, integrated landscape management, and other related fields.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Develop long-term restoration plans and valuation analyses of different landscapes in close cooperation with Commonland’s Landscape Development & Support team, local landscape partners, and experts
- Test, review and further develop the 4 Returns landscape valuation method and related tooling in different landscapes
- Support with presenting and explaining the value, risks, and returns of landscape restoration to different stakeholders in a landscape (e.g. local landscape practitioners and farmers, governments, corporates, and financial investors)
- Keep up with external trends and issues and natural and social capital valuation and true costs/true price
Other responsibilities will include:
- As it relates to valuation and monetization, liaise with our partner organizations, advisory partners, financial experts, key government agencies in the area of financing of landscape-level initiatives, and potential public and private investors
- Share, catalyze, and enable the 4 Returns landscape valuation method by engaging with relevant experts and networks and support with presenting it to relevant global audiences
- Ensure your colleagues are informed by the latest research and analysis on financing/valuation/monetization of sustainable landscape management and restoration
- Support the management team in strategic issues related to blended finance and fund mobilization
What can Commonland Foundation offer you besides a good salary?
- The opportunity to create long-term sustainable and social impact across continents
- The opportunity to work in an inspiring Dutch-based, globally focused start-up/ scale-up environment
- A dynamic and international work environment full of passionate, enthusiastic team members
- You will join a collective pension scheme
- A yearly training budget of € 2000,-
- We will make your home office almost as pleasant as our brand-new office location in Amsterdam Noord
You will also receive the following benefits once the coronavirus measures are over:
- Weekly healthy lunch, good coffee, Dutch tea, monthly drinks, and a great office view
- Public transport or car allowance
- Fun activities to get to know your colleagues even better
- The opportunity to develop and implement your own ideas in line with the strategy
- Your own training budget to improve your skills
We’re looking forward to hearing from you why you believe you have what it takes to fill this position! If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Jasper Bertels, Senior Landscape Finance Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org. We only accept and answer applications by email. Please send your motivation letter and CV to Anouk Breukers, Manager HR & Office at Commonland, email@example.com, before January 25th, 2021.