Andes is harnessing the power of microbes to develop novel seeds for a future generation of regenerative agriculture.
We are looking for a full-time Lab Technician to operate under the supervision of a Senior Scientist. The successful candidate will be responsible to carryout out routinely laboratory tasks. The role requires a prior experience of handling bacteria, bacteriological media preparation, pH estimation, buffer preparation, precision in counting bacterial cells/colonies, and hands on experience with molecular biology techniques such PCR, qPCR, cloning etc.
This role will be responsible for supporting the research of our scientific team. The candidate is required to perform scientific experiments as advised by a Senior Scientist, adhere to established methods/protocols to ensure the consistency and quality of reported results, perform data analysis, documenting results for easy access by the scientific team and work independently or in a team. In addition, high level of professionalism, good work ethics, flexibility, adaptability and enthusiasm are required to support the laboratory operations.
- Perform quality control tests in the laboratory as well as in the field as required.
- Assist with testing and calibrating lab equipment in preparation for specific tasks.
- Utilize existing protocols/SOPs to perform a variety of microbiological tasks such as growth media preparation, bacterial culturing, growth curve, bacterial staining, microscopic observation, culturing in flasks/microtiter plates, preservation of bacterial cells, etc.
- Perform molecular biology experiments and this could involve genomic DNA extraction from pure culture (bacteria) or environmental isolates (soil samples), RNA extraction, PCR, qPCR, cloning, etc.
- Lab’s material washing and sterilization.
- Follow all company policies and procedures to ensure product integrity and quality control.
- Analyze the retrieved data, prepare a summary report and report results to the manager.
- Manage the inventory and cleanliness of assigned workstations.
- Prioritize tasks to meet goals and ensure product quality.
- Recognize and report any safety issues.
- Maintain confidentiality pertaining to the research work of the company and show high level of professionalism.
Qualifications and Experience
- Prior 3-5 years of microbiological research experience or testing experience in a life science laboratory.
- Demonstrated knowledge of molecular biology methods including nucleic acid extraction. from various biological samples, quantification of DNA, PCR, qPCR.
- Prior experience on spectrophotometer, plate reader, PCR thermocycler, pH meter, light microscope, biosafety cabinet and autoclave.
- Experience following written protocols/SOPs.
- Experience of working on multiple projects.
- Experience in carryout microbiology research.
The applicant must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Associate degree required (Bachelor’s degree preferred).
- 3-5 years of laboratory experience.
What we offer
- Competitive package in an early-stage, disruptive startup.
- Stock options.