Ivy Creek Family Farm grows vegetables, flowers, berries and shiitake mushrooms using organic and ecologically sound practices. Located 25 minutes from Asheville in the beautiful Big Ivy valley, we sell our produce to several large restaurants, at two tailgate markets, to our CSA members, and at our farm stand. Anna and Paul Littman began the farm twelve years ago, bringing backgrounds of landscape architecture, nonprofit management, and plant and mushroom study to their farming goals.
We work with a skilled team of three-four people to farm our six-acres of produce and to process the vegetables post harvest. We utilize two Kubota tractors, a disk, a spader, a bed raiser, plastic mulch layer, and other tools to prepare our fields and beds. In addition to field grown crops, we grow in high tunnels and caterpillar tunnels. Our expansion plan includes building more caterpillar tunnels on our farm in 2020 and 2021.
We grow high quality vegetables at Ivy Creek. Several times a year we give tours to chefs who buy our produce. On these culinary tours, chefs take inspiration from the tomatoes growing in the hoop houses and the herbs that have gone to flower. We stock our farm stand daily. Neighbors tell us that they don’t plan the meals until they stop at our refrigerator to see what’s fresh. We have donated thousands of pounds of produce to those in need. We are proud to have restored a piece of land that we use to bring fresh produce and authentic experiences to our community.
This is a full-time position, Monday-Friday each week, with Saturday OR Sunday duties two to three times per month.
April 1st, with opportunity to begin sooner if possible.
The Lead Farmer will work with the Ivy Creek team to do the following:
- Lead the crew in excellent time management and meeting goals and tasks within each day and week.
- Anticipate activities that need to be accomplished and work ahead of the crew to prepare for tasks.
- Monitor and control pests and disease organically, with regular and scheduled actions.
- Harvest, wash, and pack produce for market with efficiency and accuracy.
- Manage irrigation needs.
- Ensure timely clean up of fields after crop harvests.
- Manage and monitor cultivation of crops.
- Build and breakdown trellis and supports for pole beans, peppers, and tomatoes.
Required Qualifications And Attributes:
- 2 seasons of growing experience on a vegetable farm.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills, high attention to detail.
- Proactive mindset; calm and resolute problem-solving.
- Heavy-lifting as needed; applicants should be able to lift and carry approximately 50 lbs comfortably and safely.
Phone: (828) 712-4644