Manager of Quality and Operations
Rumi brings flavorful, ethically sourced and socially responsible spices from Afghanistan to our customers while catalyzing sustainable rural economic development in Afghanistan and providing countless jobs to Afghan farmers and women who harvest and process the spices.
Rumi has earned certification as a B Corporation, a testament to the company’s commitment to social and environmental ethics, transparency and accountability. From day one, Rumi was laser-focused on the “why” of our work. Mission and purpose are at the core of everything we do—economically empowering Afghan farmers, inspiring Afghan women through direct wages, and building out Afghanistan’s agricultural infrastructure.
About the Role:
The Manager of Quality and Operations is responsible for ensuring Rumi produces safe, quality products and also manages overseas sourcing and U.S. production of Rumi’s portfolio. Rumi is a young company garnering dynamic growth in the food start-up world with forecasted revenues of $1MM+ in 2020. In addition to providing the highest quality imported spices, the company is a Certified B Corporation, driving its social mission through the company’s expansion. The company recently completed its Series A funding and is on a trajectory to drive growth through expansion in retail, foodservice, wholesale and online channels.
Key Job Accountabilities:
- Stay updated and in compliance with all FSMA regulations, including verifying all new suppliers in Rumi’s Foreign Supplier Verification Program (FSVP)
- Schedule lot sampling and relevant quality testing of all spices/spice products
- Be on-site PCQI and coordinate any necessary internal and external audits
- Create and update all Rumi internal and external quality documents (including spec sheets and COAs)
- Keep all quality records updated both internally and on customer platforms (TraceGains, FoodLogiQ)
- Manage saffron quality operations with partners in Afghanistan
- Ensure any existing or upcoming contract manufacturers are performing quality operations to Rumi and FDA standards
- Direct and oversee all international operations regarding sample protocols, production, shipping, third-party processing, and receiving; coordinate inbound and outbound logistics, prior notice to FDA, paperwork accuracy, maintaining relationship with international customs broker
- Manage any certification processes (ex. BCorp, Fair Trade, QAI/Organic)
- Plan and manage production with domestic co-packers for all SKUs from PO placement, production timing, delivery, and stocking
- Main point of contact for international suppliers, planning and placing saffron and whole spice orders, payment record and communication, coordinating product shipping and deliveries from Afghanistan, to Turkey, to the US.
- Create and oversee monthly demand planning process
- Lead annual operations planning process and collaborate cross-functionally with Marketing, Sales, & Finance
- Support innovation process by leading new product operations
- Own all aspects of customer service (inquiries, order issues, refunds)
- On-going cost analysis (fulfillment, shipping, production, labor), with the goal to identify cost saving opportunities and increase efficiency across all operational functions
- Manage multiple-site inventory for all sales channels. Oversee forecast, budgeting, reporting, planning, and auditing for all product components, WIP, and raw materials and FG inventory. Manage ecommerce fulfillment with Amazon MCF and maintain safety stock levels.
- 3PL fulfillment center, Shopify eCommerce, Amazon Seller Central, Amazon FBA, Co-manufacturers, Processors, etc.,
- Wholesale, B2B, D2C eCommerce, Retail, & sales samples
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in food science or equivalent
- Familiar with FSMA regulations and requirements standards
- PCQI and FSVP certifications needed
- HACCP certification a plus
- 4 to 6 years experience
- High commitment to quality and strong sense of responsibility
- Thorough in all aspects with strong attention to detail and organization
- Ability to multi-task manage multiple projects at once
- Demonstrated collaboration and partnership skills with both internal and external partners
- Ability to work in a start-up environment and has initiative and self-motivation
- Able to work/perform job remotely as needed (this position is based in our Chicago office, but is remote until fall, pending COVID-19 status)
- Good command of Microsoft Office / Google suite
- Experience working with QuickBooks or other back office software
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Great English speaking/writing skills
- Travel <10%
- United States (Required)
Rumi is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.