Alter Eco® is a chocolate-centric, sustainability-directed food company that takes indulgence to an entirely new level. Recognized as a top certified Benefit Corporation, a registered Public Benefit Corporation and proudly listed as one of San Francisco’s ‘Best & Brightest’ places to work in 2020, Alter Eco is dedicated to pioneering a full-circle approach to sustainability through regenerative agriculture, Fair Trade sourcing principles, carbon neutrality, and recyclable & compostable packaging. These principals are entwined with Alter Eco’s commitment to the highest quality ingredients and taste in all products. Our certified ‘green’ office is located in the heart of the Mission district in San Francisco. For more information, visit www.alterecofoods.com.
Alter Eco has established itself as a leader in sustainability (good for consumer, farmer, ecosystem, and planet) within the natural foods industry. However many consumers are unaware of Alter Eco’s exceptional sustainability track record. Herein lies the opportunity for brand building. The Marketing Manager will capture Alter Eco’s rich repository of sustainability stories and bring them to life in consumer-facing communications, ultimately making “Alter Eco” the food brand of choice for conscious consumers.
- Content Strategy & Marketing Calendar – This is the cornerstone of the role. You will develop the marketing calendar, including brand-building sustainability initiatives (e.g. Alter Eco Foundation launch) and new product launches (e.g. peppermint holiday truffles). Then execute across both owned (social, blog, email) and earned (influencer, PR) channels. Calendar development will include understanding company initiatives (new product innovation, retailer partnerships, Alter Eco Foundation), defining communication priorities, determining marketing strategy (audience x desired think/feel/do x marketing channel), and writing creative briefs. Execution will include copywriting, producing creative, directing design and communications agencies, posting, engaging with consumers online, identifying and coordinating with influencers and partner brands, and budget management. You will have ongoing responsibility for measuring the impact of your work, concisely communicate it, and integrate learning into future marketing activations.
- Brand Identity & Messaging – You will be the creator and keeper of brand assets, including visual identity (ranging from package graphics to email signatures), tone of voice, claims, and talking points. You will keep a pulse on consumer insights, cultural trends, and content performance in order develop, test, and refine your hypotheses for making Alter Eco relevant to our consumer target. You will negotiate consumer point of view with business need and legal/regulatory constraint when optimizing messaging.
- Sales Support – You will generate claims and collateral that enable our sales team to sell Alter Eco products and brand to brokers, distributors, and retailers. You will run in-store campaigns for both physical and digital retailers.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
- Creativity – You are driven to create! You think in terms of content. You enjoy generating new ideas and are on the shortlist for every team brainstorm.
- Artistry – You have an intuitive sense for aesthetics and you can clearly communicate it. You can pinpoint how to quickly make any piece of visual content stand out and look more on-brand even when working on a budget.
- Communication – You have clear and concise written and verbal communication. You identify nuances in tone of voice to ensure communications are brand and audience-appropriate. You are comfortable writing an Instagram caption or an interview brief for the CEO.
- Digital fluency – You have experience managing social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tik Tok), CRM platforms (e.g. Klaviyo), blog, influencer marketing, sponsored partnerships, and PR. You have a point of view on best social listening and performance analytics tools.
- Marketing strategy – You speak the languages of editorial and media as well as business strategy, and can deftly align the two. You balance qualitative and quantitative analysis-informed decision making with creative risk taking.
- Consumer insights & data driven –You have an insatiable thirst to understand your audience and what makes them tick. You pair an excellent gut for predicting consumer response with an appetite for social listening data.
- Intellectual horsepower – You are comfortable skimming academic papers on climate change in order to identify facts that could contribute to the brand story in press or consumer communications.
- Adaptability & collaboration – You are willing and able to flex to the demands of a fast-paced environment with multiple tasks and priorities. You enjoy collaborating with colleagues to get the job done regardless of official job description. You enjoy learning and growing in your work.
- Entrepreneurship – You enjoy identifying opportunities to create systems and programs where there were none before.
- Commitment – You have a strong work ethic. You believe in the mission of Alter Eco and are excited to go the extra mile to make Alter Eco and the planet a better place!
Live Eco Values
- Exceptional – We cultivate a strong business by investing in exceptional people. We collaborate with integrity and efficiency to achieve our business goals. We take great care to offer exceptionally indulgent chocolate with clean ingredients. No shortcuts.
- Commitment – We’re committed to lead in sustainable business practices through good times and bad. We build and nurture partnerships to drive meaningful, holistic change for people and planet.
- Origins – Our innovative culture is fed by our passion for food and where it comes from. We honor our origins — from our activist roots, to the fields of the farmers, to the sharing of chocolate around our community table.
Phone: +1 415-701-1212