at Diaspora Co.
Diaspora Co. is a single origin spice company working to bring the freshest, most equitably sourced and delicious spices to your pantry. We are a queer, WOC-led business here to put money, equity and power into the hands of small, organic spice farmers that are leading the way in sustainability, regenerative agriculture and truly delicious spices. We believe in food as a tool for equity, and for transformative change. We’re building a better spice trade, and we hope you’ll join us on that journey!
Diaspora Co. is looking for an Operations Manager with 3-5 years experience at a leading mission driven food company. Lead all facets of our domestic supply chain, including purchasing, production, inventory management, and logistics in a fast-paced, execution-focused, and dynamic start-up environment. Strong in establishing systems, controls, SOP’s. Must have a growth mindset and be entrepreneurial!
- Manage all vendor relationships and several aspects of the supply chain (coordinating with the founder and our India ops manager on sourcing and India supply chain) , including production/co-packing, transportation, warehousing, and raw materials.
- Develop and maintain forecasting tools.
- Work with co-packer and vendors to prepare for production runs to ensure process is followed and quality standards are met across batches.
- Work with third party consultants and independently maintain excellent procedural and food safety records.
- Create and implement an inventory system, or innovate upon our existing one to track raw materials, packaging, and finished goods
- Develop processes and manage the order processing and fulfilment functions.
- Develop and implement plans to reduce COGS without sacrificing on quality wherever possible.
- Support scale-up and commercialisation of new products namely vetting and on-boarding new suppliers and materials, with sustainability in mind.
- Maintain/develop all required product certifications (e.g., Non--GMO Project, USDA Organic, B Corp, Woman Owned, Minority Owned)
- Work in partnership with the founder, bookkeeper and accountant to manage finances.
To be successful in this role, you must possess the following qualities:
- Self-motivated, thrives when challenged, entrepreneurial go-getter with the highest levels of integrity and good judgement
- Strong desire and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done well
- Strong sense of ownership and urgency in all matters related to the health of the business
- In love with the details, at home in Excel, creative thinker, a knack for analytical problem solving
- Ability to prioritise and balance multiple tasks in a scrappy, start-up environment
- Knack for numbers and a really solid foundation in finance.
- Proven operations experience (3-5 years)
- Understanding of global supply chains
- In-depth understanding of India/a willingness to learn
- CPG supply chain background preferred. Past start-up experience ideal, food industry experience a plus
- Proficient in Excel, Google Docs, Whatsapp, Quickbooks and ideally more!
- Valid driver’s license
- Speaking Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi, Telugu, Malayalam, Tamil, or Bengali would be a huge asset.
- Salaried with performance bonuses
- Must be based in the greater Bay Area, but can be remote for the next three months.
- Not your typical 9-5, set your own schedule, as long as you get the job done
- Report directly to CEO/Founder
- Flexible time off policy
- All the spices you desire
- Exposure to all aspects of a fast-growing CPG start up
- Grow with the company! We’ve grown 3x year-on-year for 3 years!