Organic Farm Crew
at Marr Pond Farm
Closing date: 2020-04-17
Dirt Farmers. Food Lovers. Land Stewards.
Marr Pond Farm is a 5 acre MOFGA certified organic farm in rural Sangerville, Maine, started by farmers Courtney and Ryan in 2016. We grow a rainbow of vegetables, cut flowers, and shiitake mushrooms with a focus on soil health and resource conservation. Our products are marketed through CSA shares, farmers markets, restaurants, and natural food stores across central Maine.
We love where we live and farm. Our area has abundant natural beauty, and the farm is a quick drive from Peaks-Kenney state park, Sebec Lake, Mooshead Lake, the Appalacian Trail, and more. We’re also part of a close-knit community of new and established area farmers, and believe a vibrant community is the foundation of any sustainable farm.
Marr Pond Farm is hiring farm crew members who have an enthusiasm and genuine interest in learning about organic farming, a strong work ethic and desire to take pride in their work, and the adaptability to take on a wide array of responsibilities over the course of the season. Crew members will work both in groups and independently (after training) on all day-to-day operations of the farm.
The position includes, but is not limited to:
- Seed starting and plant propagation
- Harvesting, washing, and packing vegetables and mushrooms
- Utilizing farm trucks to accomplish assigned tasks
- Maintaining safe food handling practices as outlined by the farm
- Cleaning crates and harvest buckets
- Greenhouse watering
- Mushroom log inoculation and mushroom yard maintenance
- Transplanting and fertilizing
- Cultivation and hand weeding
- Field maintenance (trellising, laying and removing row cover, etc.)
- Record keeping
- Basic farm maintenance
- Assist in scouting for pest and disease issues
Some interested candidates may also work harvesting, processing, and arranging flowers, attending farmers markets, or attending CSA distributions. All employees are expected to attend at least one farmers market a season.
*While our markets will likely look different due to COVID-19, we see providing access to fresh, local produce to our communities as essential to our local food economy, and will adapt our marketing practices as needed.*
We will begin bringing crew members on in April, and end the season between late October and Thanksgiving. Start and end dates will be agreed upon when hired. Preference is given to applicants who can work the whole season, but we will consider applicants that can work a minimum of 2 months.
The right person for this job will be:
- Able to maintain a positive attitude in a fast paced work environment
- Able to see the humor in work and life, and laugh accordingly
- An efficient worker
- Passionate about good food and have an interest in organic farming
- Self-motivated and self-aware
- Dependable and have access to reliable transportation
- Willing and able to accept feedback gracefully, and adapt accordingly
- Eager to learn
- Comfortable working both in groups and independently
- A problem solver
- Detail oriented and observant
- Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Able to lift and carry 50 lbs, stand for extended periods of time, and crouch or bend over for extended periods of time. We do many things by hand and this job can be very physical.
- Comfortable around dogs (enthusiastically appreciative of dogs preferred)
- Farming experience is preferred, but not necessary.
- Experience with physical or outdoor work, or work in fast paced environments is preferred.
- A basic familiarity with plants or gardening experience is helpful.
- A valid driver’s license is strongly preferred, and the ability to drive a standard vehicle is preferred but not required.
We are especially interested in applicants that are excited to become a long-term employee, as our farm continues to grow. Long-term employees are eligible for raises based on performance, responsibilities, and commitment.