Family-owned and headquartered in Bakersfield, California, Grimmway Farms traces its roots to a produce stand opened by the Grimm brothers. Today, Grimmway still follows the principles planted by founders Rod and Bob Grimm through our commitment to caring for customers and employees, honoring sustainable practices and preserving natural resources for generations to come.
The Specialist will develop a rigorous seed/variety evaluation and promotion program that will be used to shape the vegetable product portfolio of Grimmway Farms.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Crop Science, Horticulture, or related field required with a minimum of 3 years of post-college experience working in the vegetable industry.
- Previous experience with field trial work and/or experience working in the seed industry is a plus.
- Computer skills must include a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint with ability to learn other internal company software.
- Must possess strong analytical, communication, and presentation skills with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Must be a person of integrity and be able to handle confidential or privileged information responsibly.
- Periodic overnight travel is estimated to be 25%.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with clean DMV driving record.
- Must pass pre-placement drug/alcohol screen, physical and functional capacity evaluation
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for developing a rigorous, data-driven seed/variety evaluation and promotion program for vegetable seed products to be used in conventional and organic farming operations across all production regions.
- Evaluations will include effective and efficient trialing methods that generate data to support recommendations for product advancement or cancellation.
- Advising on seed product use and placement will require the Specialist to understand production, harvest, and post-harvest challenges associated with various crops, and they must develop a firm understanding of customer needs and current market trends.
- Will work cooperatively with vendors to establish on-farm breeder trials and other seed/variety evaluations, and will visit external third-party trials to identify emerging products that should be considered for inclusion in our existing crop portfolio.
- Must become an internal expert on the use of seed treatments and coatings and must stay current on emerging seed technologies and advances in the industry.
- The Specialist will also act as a link between the Seeds Group and other departments, including Production, Sales, Marketing, and Harvesting, and provide technical assistance and guidance as needed.
- Assisting with product performance complaints and problem solving is also expected.
- The Seed Operations Manager may also assign other duties, some of which may fall outside of the bounds of this job description.
- Must be able to work in adverse and uncomfortable weather conditions, including high temperatures and dusty, dirty conditions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position throughout most of the working day.
- Ability to frequently move about inside the office.
- Ability to operate a computer and other office productivity equipment.
- Ability to work on uneven terrain both on foot and while aboard moving equipment.
- Ability to get on and off various stationary and moving equipment.
- Must be able to move items weighing up to 50 lbs.