at Greening Australia
Closing date: 2020-09-25
Greening Australia is Australia’s largest environmental enterprise and is leading the transformation of the sector. With a mission to conserve and restore landscapes at scale through collaborative, science based and innovative conservation programs Greening Australia works with a broad range of partners including some of Australia’s largest corporations to plan, develop and deliver solutions to solve some of our biggest environmental challenges.
About the role
The position is accountable for the provision of technical support and overseeing the on-ground delivery of Greening Australia’s projects within the Reef Aid program. The position will specifically lead the development and implementation of projects, catalysing large-scale ecological restoration of riparian/wetland areas, streambanks and eroded grazing lands in the Reef catchments of QLD. The position will also be responsible for small project teams, and asset management and reports directly to the Operations Manager.
The successful applicant will have at least 5 years relevant experience in the planning and implementation of complex on-ground restoration projects.
Skills and experience
- Minimum of a Degree in Environmental Science / Management or equivalent
- Knowledge and experience in effective techniques for revegetation with assisted natural regeneration, protection of regrowth vegetation, tree planting, drone- or vehicle-based direct seeding, regenerative agriculture & carbon farming.
- Programmatic and financial management experience.
- Project & contract management skills, including design, monitoring and impact assessment.
- Experience in multi-disciplinary stakeholder management, such as facilitating effective partnerships with farmers/graziers, landcare groups, government land management & conservation agencies.
- Excellent interpersonal, written & verbal communications skills, with an ability to communicate research findings & technical concepts to scientific & lay audiences.
- An ability to work constructively in a flexible team-based environment.
- Post-graduate qualifications in environmental management (or equivalent)
- Experience working in a cross-cultural environment and the cultural context when working with Aboriginal or other Indigenous peoples.
- Knowledge of environmental markets including water quality (Reef Credits), Carbon markets, Blue Carbon, environmental offsets
- Understanding of Great Barrier Reef (GBR) catchment issues (key threats and management actions)
- Knowledge of landscape approaches to improving water quality.
- Demonstrated competence in written and oral communication skills, including the ability to use word processing, spreadsheet software and the preparation of reports.