Andes is harnessing the power of microbes to develop novel seeds for a future generation of regenerative agriculture.
We are seeking a motivated, outstanding and dynamic Senior Research Associate to join our team to develop the next generation of seeds for agriculture. The Senior Research Associate will play multiple roles within the R&D group with an emphasis on the optimization of non-model microorganisms.
- Design and optimization of bacteria transformation protocols.
- Design and build plasmids for strain manipulations.
- Design and implement a combination of specific CRISPR/Cas9 and traditional transformation.
- Mutagenesis of selected strains.
- Analysis of transformants and mutants for desired phenotypes and genotypes.
- Conduct experiments independently.
- Prepare and submit samples for DNA sequencing and interpret the resulting data.
- Interpretation, statistical analysis and reporting of experimental data in a timely manner.
- Maintain viable stocks of improved strains.
- Maintain timely and detailed documentation of work.
- Mentor and train other team members as required.
- Contribute intellectually to strain optimization efforts.
- Track relevant IP, literature, technological developments in scientific literature and give presentations as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
- BS or higher degree in Bacteria Molecular Genetics, Biotechnology, Microbial Genetics or a related discipline, with 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience with plasmid design (including genetic engineering software) and construction.
- Experience with CRISPR/Cas9 and traditional transformation techniques in bacteria.
- Experience with PCR.
- Experience with DNA and protein electrophoresis.
- Experience with enzyme assays.
- Experience with genomic sequence analysis and interpretation.
- Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Detailed knowledge on atmospheric nitrogen fixation carried out by free-living bacteria.
- Experience in the field of plant-microbe interaction.
- Strain screening experience.
- Experience in bioinformatics, genomics and transcriptomics.
- Experience with automation.
- Detailed knowledge of microbial physiology/biochemistry.
- Data organization and reporting with Microsoft Excel, R or Tableau.
The applicant must be authorized to work in the U.S.
What we offer
- Competitive package in an early-stage, disruptive startup.
- Stock options.