Andes is harnessing the power of microbes to develop novel seeds for a future generation of regenerative agriculture.
We are seeking a motivated, outstanding, and dynamic Soil Scientist to join our team to analyze the characteristics of different soil types and design and execute experiments with those soils and microorganisms under different environmental conditions at a laboratory, greenhouse, and field level. This individual will also be responsible for experimental data analysis and interpretation.
- Work closely with the Manager and team members to design and execute experimental programs.
- Conduct all work in strict compliance with all applicable safety requirements, containment requirements, standard operating practices, and/or guidelines.
- Responsible for the study of soil structure, properties, chemical compensations, and the different stages of transformations that soil goes through.
- Research or study soil characteristics, map soil types, and investigate responses of soils to known management practices to determine the use capabilities of soils and effects of alternative practices on soil productivity.
- Build the different types of soils for experiments at a greenhouse level.
- Investigate responses of specific soil types to soil management practices, such as fertilization, crop rotation, and irrigation.
- Conducts experiments on farms or experimental stations to determine the best soil types for different plants.
- Initiate and implement research & development programs for soil research.
- Prepare documented proposals and successfully establish research trials.
- Regularly communicate with relevant industry sectors and initiate well targeted research projects.
- Meet the company requirements for trial planning and operation of research projects.
- Manage trial establishment and collection of data.
- Budget for research work and provide management reporting in regard to trial/research progress.
- Write research reports and prepare technical presentations.
- Keep detailed records of experiments and documentation in Electronic Lab Notebook and database systems.
- Track relevant IP, literature & technological developments in the scientific literature and give presentations as needed.
- Draft and write SOP’s; ensure adherence to SOP standards.
- Use best practices at work.
Qualifications and Experience
- Ph.D., degree chemistry, crop science, soil science, biology, or a related field, such as agronomy, horticulture, plant physiology, or environmental science with a minimum of 10 years of industrial or academic experience.
- Practical hands-on experience with soil analysis.
- Working familiarity with different kinds of soils.
- Routine working knowledge of experimental design and hands-on familiarity with data analysis using statistical tools.
- Adaptable and flexible in priority and time management.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and reliable team player.
Applicant must be authorized to work in the U.S.
What we offer
- Competitive package in an early-stage, disruptive startup.
- Stock options.