Senior Project Coordinator
at IFOAM Organics International
Closing date: 2020-08-14
Founded in 1972, IFOAM – Organics International works as an agent of change, advocating for true sustainability in agriculture, value chains, and consumption. We are an international nonprofit organization with a membership base that spans around 100 countries, and promote a holistic approach to food systems based on the principles of health, ecology, fairness, and care.
About the Position:
It’s an exciting time to join our team! We are growing and in transition, and are looking to strengthen our organization by supporting us in the implementation of projects across different countries with the aim to promote organic agriculture. To this end we are looking for a senior project coordinator to become part of the Capacity Development team.
The Capacity Development Department, as termed in our organizational strategy, sits alongside three other departments – Policy & Guarantee, Governance and Communications – and aims at the uptake of sustainable agriculture by building capacity and sharing experiences with a wide range of stakeholders.
As Senior Project Coordinator you will be contributing to the smooth implementation of one of our major projects, Organic Markets for Development (OM4D) funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands (BUZA). It aims to include smallholder farmers into domestic and international global organic markets. OM4D considers the increasing demand for organic products as an opportunity to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers. At the same time, it addresses existing local and global challenges such as inequity, climate change, scarcity and depletion of natural resources. Four West African countries are part of the action.
Besides OM4D which will be your main project, you will be engaged in the coordination of GIZ – funded projects in the frame of the establishment of the Knowledge Centers on Organic Agriculture in Africa. IFOAM – Organics International provides trainings on leadership and content on Organic Agriculture. In this role, you will be part of the Capacity Development Team and report directly to the Head of Capacity Department. You have considerable experience in project coordination of multi-stakeholder & country projects – in the best case abroad – and are ready to develop further.
We offer a position to enhance your experience and contribute to your professional growth. You will join a culturally diverse 30-member team at our office in Bonn, Germany. Your departmental team consists of 9 persons, each of them bringing in their expertise into their respective work areas. Additionally, you will be regularly collaborating with other departments within IFOAM – Organics International.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
- University degree in agriculture, sustainable development, environmental sciences or related fields
- At least 8 years experience in the coordination of multi-stakeholders / country projects of a substantial financial volume in multicultural contexts
- Familiarity with monitoring and evaluation tools and participatory approaches / processes • Excellent oral and writing communications – and advisory skills
- Independent, reliable and effective way of working
- Team-oriented with high organizational skills and personal resilience
- Willing to travel abroad
- Cultural sensitivity and diplomacy
- Knowledge of at least one of the following topics: the organic sector, Market System Development (MSD), Participatory Guarantee Systems (PGS), institution building is an asset
- Fluent in English and French, additional languages like German is an advantage