Strategic Initiatives Coordinator
at Practical Farmers of Iowa
Closing date: 2020-04-26
Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking a diligent, respectful and passionate person to serve as a strategic initiatives coordinator for the strategic initiatives team. For over 30 years, Practical Farmers has worked to equip farmers across the state (and beyond) to build resilient farms and communities. The strategic initiatives team works creatively to build collaborative connections between the private and public sectors that accomplish the goals of our farmer members on the broader Iowa and Midwestern landscape.
The strategic initiatives coordinator will support that team by:
1). facilitating effective, persuasive farmer-to-farmer promotion of cover crop and small-grain practices
2). providing agronomic counseling in cover crop consultations with cost-share program participants and responding to farmer cover crop questions
3). coordinating field work and data collection
4). monitoring grant deliverable progress
5). attending cover crop and small grains events in Iowa and the Midwest
6). writing articles, blogs and other outreach on cover crops for Practical Farmers and for distribution in other farm-related outlets.
Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development.
Qualifications and Characteristics:
- Experience with public relations and other general communication skills required
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel required
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability and passion to communicate effectively with farmers, farm leaders, staff, media, agribusiness and non-farmers, including public speaking
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Meticulous attention to detail and high organizational ability
- Flexible and adaptable
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Motivated and a self-starter
- A background in agronomy, crop science, watershed program coordination, ag education, ag communication or similar natural resources field is required.
- A master’s degree is preferred, but we will consider candidates who have relevant education and experience – including those with either a bachelor’s degree or two year’s work experience in any of those areas.
- Two years of professional office experience preferred
This is a full-time position based in our Ames office. Annual salary range is $34,000-$40,000, based on experience and qualifications. This position requires some travel (mostly in Iowa), a valid driver’s license, the ability to lift 50 pounds and the ability to walk long distances.
The position reports to Alisha Bower, strategic initiatives manager. Practical Farmers is a family-friendly employer. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long-term disability, life insurance and generous paid time off. Employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan is offered after one year of employment.