We grow an incredible diversity of certified organic vegetables, fruits, and cut flowers year-round, on over 70 acres in Pescadero and San Gregorio, California. Now in our sixteenth year, we proudly supply our farmers’ markets, Farmstand, U-pick, and wholesale accounts with some of the highest-quality produce available.
We are seeking a motivated individual to fill our Tractor Driver/Field Manager position. This person oversees and contributes to a significant portion of the tractor work for the farm. This person is trained by and reports to the farm owner and is assisted by one or two other tractor operators. We manage two ranches totaling 120 acres and farm vegetables and flowers on 70 of those. The land that is not in row crops is planted in pasture for sheep or cover cropped. Around the farm, we use 10 tractors for various purposes, ranging from 120hp to 20hp, many different primary and secondary cultivation implements, forklifts, trucks, and trailers.
- Work with Farm Owner to plan and coordinate tractor fieldwork
- Executing tractor work, including everything from field preparation and seeding to cultivating.
- Fertility monitoring and application.
- Scouting for pest and disease.
- Coordinating and assisting irrigators on scheduling, pipe moving, drip installation, fertilizing, and repairs.
- Maintenance of fencing, field tools, buildings, trucks, tractors, and equipment.
- Transporting tractors and equipment between the two ranches.
- Record-keeping of all field activity and inputs.
- Attends weekly staff meetings and participates in both big picture strategizing and daily operational decisions.
- Vending on an as-needed basis at farmers markets, which includes driving a box truck, customer service, record-keeping, attention to detail, and repetitive heavy lifting.
- Delivery driving as needed.
- General farm work and participation in projects as needed.
The work requires the physical and mental capacity to contribute daily to an often rigorous, fast-paced, and deeply rewarding agricultural practice. Staff work 30-40 hours/week from December through March and 50+ hours/week from April through November.
- Minimum of 2 years growing experience on a production farm
- Minimum of one year using tractors and equipment
- Demonstrated ability to operate farm equipment (tillage, seeding, cultivating, and harvesting)
- Familiarity with irrigation work
- Basic plumbing and carpentry skills (mechanical/metalworking skills a plus)
- The ability to speak basic, conversational Spanish is desired
- Ability to work independently and with a team
Applicant should be self-motivated, hard-working, eager to learn, have excellent people skills, great multi-tasker, and be in good physical condition. Ability to perform certain tasks such as heavy lifting (over 50#), repetitive grasping, standing, bending, and walking (No applicant will be rejected because of a condition or impairment that, with reasonable accommodation, does not prevent the performance of work.)
Compensation and Housing
This is a year-round salaried position. 35-40k/year (depending on experience.) Salary includes on-site housing, health insurance, food from the farm, continuing education allowance, and one month paid vacation.
It is a high priority of the farm to provide a quality experience to those working here. An ideal applicant is interested in participating in many aspects of a small-scale, diversified farming operation and has a serious interest in advancing an agricultural career.Apply via Regen Farming News →
Phone: +1 650-879-0704