Farmscape is seeking a full-time urban farmer for Los Angeles. Our farmers steward the management of 10-20 small farms, predominantly within residential landscapes, and will have opportunities to assist on larger urban farms and garden installation projects as well. This position is primarily for gardens on the Westside, though our service territory spans from Pasadena to Thousand Oaks to Pacific Palisades to the South Bay. Farmers typically work within a single region/neighborhood on a given day and carry a ‘roving farm shed’ in their vehicles. Farmscape farmers work independently at multiple locations throughout the day with the resources, support, and comradery of the entire Farmscape crew.
Farmscape is the largest urban farming venture in the country, with headquarters in Los Angeles and Oakland. We design, install, and maintain urban farms and sustainable landscapes for residences, restaurants, agrihoods and commercial sites. Our expertise on urban agriculture design and operations has resulted in today’s most innovative and sustainable agrihood developments.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Farm & Garden Management
- Maintains all assigned farms: designs planting layouts, tracks planting or replanting times, starts seeds, maintains seedlings, solves pest and disease problems, fertilizes and amends soil, harvests produce, repairs irrigation issues, etc.
- Maintain or assist with maintaining fruit trees, including fertilizing, harvesting, pruning, and solving pest and disease issues
- Acts proactively to prevent issues with the garden
- Manages regular and consistent personal schedule of weekly visits
- Manages service inventory for assigned gardens: tools, pest and disease control products, seeds and plants, trellises and other garden accessories
- Keeps regular and organized service logs of weekly visits
- Collaborates with Farmscape staff to resolve garden issues that are difficult or complex
- May help with R&D of Farmscape farming methods
- May assist with training staff
- Maintains good customer relationships, both in-person and via phone/email
- Answers customer concerns in a timely manner and communicates problems upward
- Represents Farmscape products and services in a professional manner
- May assist with garden and farm installations
- Attends staff, service, and training meetings as required
- Additional tasks, as assigned by your manager.
Education & Experience:
- Experience with annual vegetable cultivation required
- Valid driver’s license and a working vehicle required
- Related experience in landscaping, gardening, horticulture is a plus
- Related education in horticulture, crop science, etc. a plus
- Farm management experience or farmhand work is also a plus
- Ability to learn and adapt to Farmscape best practices
- Friendly and clear communicator
- Organizational skills and attention to detail are critical