Snow’s Bend Farm is an established organic farm set along the fertile banks of the Black Warrior River outside of Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Currently, we specialize in vegetables primarily marketed to a 275 member CSA, restaurants and two farmers markets in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham.
About the Job
We are looking for someone ready to take on the day-to-day responsibilities of vegetable production so that we may look toward growing the farm in other areas. There will be an extended training period, ensuring that you are comfortable in taking over responsibilities and the expectations are clear.
- Minimum of 1-year experience on a commercial farm
- Strong leadership skills
- Organizational skills
- Be helpful, kind, and courteous to co-workers and customers
- Be able to lift up to 50 lbs. regularly, bend at the knees and back, and walk throughout the day
- Be able to work on your feet outdoors, in hot and cold weather, at least 8 hours
- Maintain a steady work pace
- Ability to see jobs through to completion
- Enjoy cooking and talking about it
- Good communication skills
- Be adaptable, conditions are often changing on a farm
- Spanish language skills are a plus!
Initially, these will be tasks that you help with. Once you have gained full competency, we will turn them over to you.
- Greenhouse planting and maintenance
- Tractor work
- Planting, irrigating, cultivating, and harvesting crops
- Pest Management
- Washing, sorting, weighing, and packing produce
- Leave work areas clean at the end of each day
- Vend at farmer’s markets
- Eventually be able to manage staff