Looking to combine your science background with interest in wine or regenerative agriculture? Do you want to live in close proximity to wineries and craft distilleries, hiking in redwoods, fishing, skiiing or diving for abalone off the California coast
As Winemaking Lab Technician, you will assist the Sr. Lab Technician in performing laboratory-related operations for the production of multiple domestic wine brands-including wines made of certified organic and certified biodynamic grapes-in the Fetzer Vineyards’ portfolio. With a focus on quality, safety and continuous improvement, you will execute laboratory analysis to support winemaking, cellar, barrel room and bottling operations; maintain a safe and well organized laboratory environment in compliance with housekeeping and sanitation SOPs and safety standards; and adhere to the laboratory quality management system. This role reports to the Laboratory Manager.
General Lab Analysis
- Manage propagation of yeast and malolactic bacteria cultures
- Act as lead for microbiological tests and projects for winemaking and Quality Control
- Prepare chemical solutions and reagents used for lab analysis for winemaking lab
- Troubleshoot, maintain and make minor repairs to lab instruments
- Create and maintain spreadsheets
- Communicate with Planning and Logistics to track wine movement, blending and addition in order to organize daily workload for lab
- Manage fermentations during harvest. Track results and call for samples
- Communicate with Planning and Logistics to coordinate the pre-bottling lists
- Ensure that all pre-bottling analysis is performed in a timely fashion
- Record and update all pre-bottling analysis in laboratory files
- Perform allergen testing and record results
- B.S. in Biology, Enology or Chemistry with a focus on microbiology; or Associate Degree in Science plus related experience; one to three plus years of experience in a winemaking lab with related coursework, or equivalent combination education/experience
- Demonstrated knowledge in scientific principles
- Detail oriented, excellent organization skills and analytic thinking required Ability to anticipate and apply cause/effect concepts to daily operations
- Strong mathematic skills required
- Computer Skills – requires competence in database programs, Excel, Internet, email and Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel). Google Docs, a plus.
- Schedule – This is a Monday – Friday position with an ideal schedule of 6:00 am to 2:30 pm. Requires ability to work varying/extended shifts and overtime during the harvest season (approximately 12 weeks)
- Bilingual – English/Spanish preferred but not required
- Requires mobility throughout various winemaking locations, cellar, barrel rooms, office areas and related production locations
About Fetzer Vineyards:
Celebrating over 50 years of acclaimed winegrowing, Fetzer Vineyards was founded in 1968 in Mendocino County, California. An award-winning purveyor of wines and spirits spanning multiple origins and available in more than 50 countries worldwide, Fetzer Vineyards is a leader in sustainable business practices, organic winegrowing and craftsmanship in the cellar. Corporate office is in Hopland, CA which is about a two-hour drive north of San Francisco.
- Tell us about your passion for the wine industry by applying online http://fetzervineyards.appone.com
- Requires successful completion of criminal background, DMV check (if applicable) and drug screen. AA/EOE/M/F/D/V You will be required to submit verification of your citizenship or legal right to work in the United States at the time of an offer of employment.
Phone: +1 707-744-1250