The Sustainable Landscapes Rating Tool enables a rapid assessment of the key conditions for jurisdictional policies and governance that enable sustainable landscapes. The Tool provides a snapshot of a jurisdiction’s capacity to establish and ensure effective functioning of policies, plans, strategies, regulations, monitoring systems and multi-stakeholder platforms, which, collectively, have been found to be important in supporting sustainable landscapes.
The Tool applies an objective, evidence-based rating system to assess each of the identified key conditions. It collects and organizes complex information about policies and governance into a structured and easy-to-understand format.
Landscape actors including sub-national governments, producer organizations, NGOs and civil society organizations can use the tool to:
- Communicate externally about the status of key enabling conditions to attract investment and other support
- Benchmark progress on establishing enabling conditions against internationally-recognized criteria
- Build support among diverse stakeholders and facilitate planning to address gaps.
Investors including investment funds, banks, commodity sourcing companies, bi-lateral and multi-lateral development agencies and international NGOs can enhance their investment decisions by using the tool to:
- Identify jurisdictions likely to help them meet sustainability goals
- De-risk investments by providing a due diligence framework to unpack and understand key policy, legal, governance and other enabling conditions
- Identify priorities for policy and governance support that will help to facilitate transition to green growth.
This tool has been developed by the Climate, Community & Biodiversity Alliance (CCBA) including Conservation International, Rainforest Alliance and Wildlife Conservation Society and partners including EcoAgriculture Partners and Global Canopy Programme.