Organic Ag Academy: Livestock Managed Grazing
Cost: USD 45
Prepare to teach diversified, profitable and climate-friendly farming practices that help feed the world while protecting the environment. Obtain the content needed to teach effectively, including curriculum guides, lesson plans, PowerPoint lectures, virtual farm tours, assessments, and hands-on activities to use with your learners.
- Explore what managed (rotational) grazing is and how organic/sustainable farmers use it to improve soil health and animal wellbeing while cost-effectively improving their bottom line.
- Build fence, walk pastures and examine plant species, measure yield, check-out lanes and watering systems and observe cattle, pigs, and chickens on pasture.
- Learn to explain how grazing is a climate-friendly farming system that provides nutritious, grass-fed meat and milk to consumers.
- Pre-work, online: View class materials (2-3 hours).
- Mornings: Discuss and learn content in the classroom (3 hours each day).
- Lunch (included in the cost of the course).
- Afternoons: Participate in on-farm tours and hands-on activities (4 hours each day).
The Northeast WI Technical College Organic Ag Academy
Whether you teach in a formal classroom, extension workshops, or one-on-one with farmers, you’ll get the tools you need to teach organic & sustainable agriculture in this in-depth professional development opportunity. You’ll obtain packaged, ready-to-teach lesson plans for teaching diversified, profitable and climate-friendly farming practices.
After completing all six academy courses, you’ll earn a certificate in Organic Ag Teaching. Or, if you’re not interested in all topics, take only the courses you choose.