Organic Transition Training Workshop
Learn more about the process of transitioning to organic production. Learn from certification experts and industry partners. Visit with experienced organic growers from the region.
Workshop schedule and location:
- Thursday, July 23 – Garretson, SD. 10 am–3 pm. Lunch provided. O So Good Restaurant, 529 North Main Avenue
- Thursday, July 30 – Lennox, SD. 10 am–3 pm. Lunch provided. Archery Shak (O So Good Catering), 217 S Main St.
- Tuesday, August 4 – Watertown, SD. 10 am–3 pm. Lunch provided. Ramkota Inn, 1901 9th Ave SW
Agenda to cover the following topics:
- State of organic: Markets, Demand, Trends.
- Organic: An investment that can pay dividends over time.
- Certification basics and record keeping 101 w/ examples & materials for home study.
- What is an Organic System Plan and how does it work?
- Laying the foundation for organic fertility. What kinds of inputs can I use?
- Overview of ‘Transitional Toolkit’ service options available.
- Panel discussion with certified organic growers who also manage conventional acres.
- Insurance & Lending: Q&A with regional providers experienced with organic.
- Seed and Agronomy Considerations for Organic Systems with Dakotas Best Seed.